Using Squid for Bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Trophy Hunter, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Trophy Hunter

Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Does anyone use squid for bait when the shad and gills become hard to come by? Thanks in advance.

2. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    I use squid all the time. and i allways catch cats. sometimes not so big and some big. I use live pins or gills down here to but mostly catch just the same thing and size as on the squid . Here squid gets the cats befor the live bait does. But i still use the live. shrimp works good here for cats to. If i go to a tournament some where in a diff. state i use live gills and cut shad and squid.and seem to get good results on them all. up north i would use chubs and white gold fish.

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Squid works at times. Its not my go to bait but I have had some success in the past with it. Using them whole is good for blues. Cutting into strips is fine for channels.

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Thanks B. H." :big_smile: ,

I always wonder about using squid for bait when I'm fishing for Channels up here in my fishing waters.
    "Now" I have to give it a shot the next time out.
    :confident:

Thanks Again,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have never had any luck with it But could have been wrong place wrong time:big_smile:

6. hailei

hailei New Member

State:
    AL
    squid i know it works awsome for saltwater fishin so i don't why it wouldn't be a good one for fresh specially all these catz eatin everything they get close to and if u can get some skipjack get it cause with that i have caught alot of catz during afternoon with just jugz and that's it

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    squid for bait? never heard of it. I think its a saltwater bait.

8. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    I've caught a couple of the smaller (1.5 - 2#) channels on squid strips, but these were farm-raised fish.

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I use in quite often in the Saltwater but haven't had much luck with it in the Freshwater.

I do have good sucess with cut Sardines & Shrimp, especially after they've been sitting around a couple of days

10. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    In late fall several boats were fishing blue cats in the same area. One boat couldn't touch a fish while the rest of us were doing well on cut bait and livers. When I asked, they said they were using squid, so I gave them some bluegill and they started catching some fish. It doesn't seem like squid is a good choice.

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I wouldn't think squid would work real good for the same reason I don't have any luck with shrimp. Of course just about any bait will work sometimes, but being that most cats have never seen, smelled, or probably tasted anything like a squid, they probably wouldn't be drawn to it like they would a nice piece of bloody shad.

12. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    I have tried it with out much luck. Had a few small bites but pretty sure they were just bait stealers!!!

13. waitinforwhiskers

waitinforwhiskers New Member

State:
    Port Lavaca, Texas
    ill have to try it on my next trip to the river and get back to you all later with results.

14. ko1featherweigh

ko1featherweigh New Member

State:
    newark,cal
    i use the squid arms to catch bluegill and the arms last much longer than a worm does

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I ate some squid at the China Garden tonite, and I wouldn't eat it again even if I were a catfish.

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i seen in a video where a channel cat guide on the red river in canada use em. i have never though. i eat em,lol.well only once and it was tasty.

17. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The only time I've used squid for bait is when ocean fishing. But I can see some big ole blues being caught on them.

18. hotwhelz

hotwhelz New Member

State:
    NC
    Only fished it twice with not much luck. If I remember correctly I think I had 2 fish under 2 lbs each

19. BLACK ADDER

BLACK ADDER New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Up here in Virginia, we have big blue cats that I use eel for. But squid and nightcrawlers are bait of choice when fishing for "dinner-size" fish.
    By the way: noticed "PASTOR E" with a picture of a striper, which reminds me I caught my couple of largest blue cats on a chunk of striper belly...just sayin'.
    Also, the Northwest River is getting attention for huge cats for the first time in years. Another spot that is a winner is bank fishing down on the North River and Camden Point. Can be quite a challenge hoisting the bigger girls out of the stump fields. Lost one a couple weeks ago in COLD water that I couldn't slow up before he ran into a stump field, braking off my 30lb test.
    Cold water catting is how I stay sane(HAH!) during the winter....
    BA

20. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    wow a very old thread,,,, some good ol members,,,, looked a a couple post and thought I was back in the good ol days with some the members post,,,,but then I looked at the date:unhappy::cry: