using sonny's

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by cattinhoosier, Jul 20, 2008.

1. cattinhoosier

cattinhoosier New Member

State:
    indiana
    Tried sonny's last night and did catch a couple cats on it but the fishing was really slow. We were fishing a small private tournament and nobody caught much of any thing. So I am positive it will work I think I need to thin it though with vegetable oil like the directions say. It didn't stay on the sponges very well it was to thick even in 90+ degree weather. Is that normal how do you guys use it?

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i use sonnys a lot myself it works good as for the spong i have same prob i keep a rag and dry spung as much as i can this helps but i finde sonnys works best on the dip worms i cut theas worms in half and make two out of theam also dry the worm befor dipping in sonnys the worm will load up a lot better if dry as will the spung hope this helps ya

3. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I use Sonny's a lot and this is how I do it. Like it says, you should mix it with veg. oil. On a hot day leave it in the sun so you will know how runny it is in the worst conditions you will be using it, and add some oil, not much, it is easier to add more than deal with it if you add too much. I use an old chop-stick for a dip and mixing stick. In the spring I'll mix up a batch, but in the hot summer that batch is often too runny for my preferences without keeping it in a cooler. I try to leave it too thick because the hotter it is outside, the more it will "melt". The thickness doesn't change how it fishes, I found, unless it is soupy, then it will wash off right away.

Bait up a dry dipworm with the stick. After about 15-20 minutes, or after a bite, rebait the worm. It is important that the worm is dry or the bait won't stick to it. For that I use a roll of toilet paper or paper towel, trying not to get what I am drying off onto my hands, and carry a trash bag for the messy tp. Some guys use a sponge to dry the worm off, but I tried that and had a very messy sponge. When I am done fishing I clean all the dip bait off the worm with the tp, some guys put the worm in the jar for next time. You can try a Looper Rig or a dip sponge, the Looper Rig will hold the bait better, but is impossible to clean up when you are done fishing, its best put right in the jar.

A variation I sometimes use on the dip worm rig is to replace the treble hook with a 1/0 - 4/0 circle hook. With the circle you'll get less fish swallowing the worm and can get the hook out better.

Good luck and good fishing.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    For dip baits I like to use the Looper rigs and mix my dip bait to the thicknesss of a thick milk shake. You can add peanut butter to make your bait thicker and more stickey.

5. cattinhoosier

cattinhoosier New Member

State:
    indiana
    I've thought about peanut butter for bait before do the fish seem to like it and thanks for your help!

6. scrappy

scrappy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont mix anything with it,I try to keep it in the shade on hot days and stir the heck out of it on cool mornings.I use a small dip worm and most important only dip the bottom half of the worm in the bait.They are always hooked with the trebble just inside the lips and you use only half as much bait.Seems to catch them just as good.

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I use a rag to dry the worm off. Don't have to carry a litter bag along. The rag will wash just like your smelly jeans.lol
    I agree the Looper rigs are definately the best thing goin. You get a big gob of bait and it stays on better than anything I've used. Don't forget to dip it in the water (makes it hold better for casting) before you cast.
    With this warm weather I'm surprised you need to thin it though. Are you sure you stirred it up first?
    have a good one
    just

8. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Welcome to the BOC Dean.
    I see you are on your way to 10 posts so you can see all the pix and stuff.
    Hope to hear more from you soon
    just

9. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Keep the worm dry has possible, stays on the bait alot better when the worm is dry; welcome to the boc also Dean.

10. scrappy

scrappy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thanks for the welcome fellers.Thanks for the reminder about drying the worm with a rag,the one in my tackle box is so covered in stink bait i could cut it into one inch squares and catch cats on it.Its that bad:smile2:Think i will throw it away right now and replace it with a clean rag.