Using Slip Bobbers

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TNBigCat, Aug 19, 2006.

1. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    I have a couple of questions on using slip bobbers.

The setup: I use Zebco 808 Magnum reels with 6'6" Med-Heavy Ugly Stick Rods, and 20lb Cajun Red line.

I have looked on the library and I even saw the video on how to put a slip knot on and I still have questions. I tried to use a slip knot with a bobber a while back and when I went to cast out my line, the knot got stuck on the inside of the reel. I thought maybe my cast was off so I tried it again and the same thing happened. So what I did was just drop the line behind the boat and let the current take the bobber out a ways from the boat. I just pulled the line out from the reel until I thought it was out far enough. Then I had another issue, The current from the river was going pretty fast that it seemed like it kept pulling my bobber down, not completely under, but down some. Am I doing something wrong when using the slip bobber and is the current from the river not a the place to use it? If in fact that I can use a slip bobber there I would like to get some of the Maine Wolf Bobbers. Any advice on what I am doing right or wrong with the slip bobbers would help out. Thanks in advance for the info. Nick

2. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    do not reel the knot all the way into your reel. maybe you are not using the right size or shape of float

3. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Don't know about your set-up, but it sounds like you either need a bigger bobber or a smaller weight. Wheather or not a slip bobber can be used with a closed face reel, I simply don't know.

I got some Wolf bobbers and glow sticks the other day but haven't had a chance to use them yet.

4. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Nick;

Closed face reels like a Zebco or Johnson will have problems with bobberstop knots. The best reels would be Baitcasters and second would be spinning reels. They sometimes will hang in a spinning reel too.

My experience:

Gene

5. smitty1

smitty1 New Member

State:
    illinois
    try some of the bobber stops with small beads. you can buy them at catfish connection or any of the fishing tackle stores fairly cheap and i have had no problem with them hanging up my reals.... and in current you are going to have the cork sink a little from the pressure from the current and the tension on the string. If there is a specific brush pile or dike or area you are wanting to fish try setting up down stream and off the side and throw upstream to float it by it, that will help with your tension on the string and the bait will float directly below the cork or there abouts. It works........

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I agree with Gene, although Spinning Reels are about the best for bobbers in my opinion. If you use Baitcasters, you might have trouble if the baitcaster has the "Level Wind" feature.

7. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Have never had a problem with my level-wind reels. Just tie your knots with cotton string of the correct size and clip the tag ends close.

8. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    I've never had a problem using a slip cork rig and all I use is baitcasting reels. I have friends with spin-cast (closed face) reels and they use the thread type stoppers and trim the tag ends close. They are easy to use and not all that expensize for a handfull.

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Guess I'm the only one then that has had trouble with the level wind. I use baitcasters more then anything also, but I have always had less problems with slip bobbers using a spinning reel.

10. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    You might be right about the spinning reel, I am not knockin the spinning reel, I have never used one with a slip-cork rig. I imagine a spinning reel would do just fine since there is little touching the line. I also think it has to do with what you are most comfortable with and figuring out whatmethod works best for you. I am a strong believer in thinking outside the box.:smile2:

11. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    A lot of the problems that people have with bobberstop knots are usually,(1) They don't trim the tag ends short enough or (2) The material that they tie the bobberstop knots with making the knot too big. I use embrodery yarn and it ties a very tight knot and you can trim almost all of the tag end off.

Zack, I use non-level wind Baitcasters as they are my preference and there is never a problem with the knots but I can see with a level wind if the knot was too big, It May.

CutShad;

Spinning reels, sometime the knot tangles with the other line on the spool.

Gene

12. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Try using some teflon pipe tape.I do and it works great in all kind of reels.But I use it mostly in my bait-casters.Does the trick for me.:boss:

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, I like Non-Level Wind also, because from past expieriences the level wind always breaks one day. I can cast Slip bobbers better with a spinning reel also though, I am pretty much a die-hard baitcaster user, but the spinning reel just does better for me for bobbers.

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Nick Big George showed me that he uses shhhhh dont tell anyone Teflon Tape for his stops. It looks like it would work with the Zebco