Using skipjacks for bait, where they are not native.

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, Nov 26, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Whats your thoughts on using skips for bait in rivers where there aint any skips?

A couple years ago I had a few dozen skips I caught on the ohio river.

I thought they would be a great bait on the scioto, since it would be something new to the cats, no skips in the scioto.

I fished them 8-10 times and never got a hit on them.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I think it has alot to do with it. I have fished skipjack at many other places, and have never caught anything on them from any body of water other than the river..

3. hankgava

hankgava New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Don't want to sound dumb..., but what are skipjacks anyway? I fish Dillon and the Muskingum River and use shad or chicken livers.

Hank

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    There are a herring Hank. Ya won't find them up here in the the muskingum. The closest you will find them to here is in the Ohio river.

5. hankgava

hankgava New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Thanks for the info, I'll have to go to Marrietta and try to catch some. What do they bit on?

6. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i think crawlers but im not sure i dont use um i use live blue gill most of the time

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I always catch them on Sabiki Rigs or small curly tail jigs.

As far as the question,
    I haven't tried them in non native rivers but have had success with skips with channels in lakes.

8. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Just remember when fishing from the Ohio shore a sabiki rig is illegal as it has more then two hooks.

9. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    I never knew that thanks

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

You can use them with up to 3 hooks over there. Thats what I always use over there. I talked with a game warden at the Greenup L&D about that one day. I just cut a couple of the hooks off and use it that way.

11. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Yep John your right it is three hooks. I was trying to think and type at the same time. I know better then to do that. :roll_eyes:

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    :smile2: I do that a lot..Thinking usually doesn't work out too good for me though..:roll_eyes::smile2:
    I see people at the dam using more than 3 hooks every time I go, Its not worth it to me though. I need to get back down there, I'm getting low on my supply of skips.

13. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    ive done that plenty-o-times :0a23:

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think one person actually has an input for what it was I asked...I give up:sad2::wink::big_smile:

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Sorry Jack...I gave input but not exactly what was asked. All the rivers I fish has them. I have had luck in private ponds and state lakes though...Does that count???:roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

16. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used skips in lakes and the channels tore them up, never caught anything else though. :confused2:

17. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Them blues and flats lovem too. keep trien em ull catch a monster if you leave your bait out there long elough wit skips...:wink::cool2:

18. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    hey Jack where you fish you dont need nothin but gills..but i think you already know this i fish the scioto also and you cant beat a blue gill for them big flats:wink:

19. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    thats all i normally use is live gills it works great for me.... skips are mainly for blues and im a flat head hunter

20. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I am planning on makeing a trip east to catch some Skips this year but have never used them as we do not have them anywhere close to where I am at.
    This is my thought. I catch plenty of fish on chicken liver, beef blood and cheese bait, Why the heck would Skips NOT be good bait just because they are not native to the water you are fishing? How often do chickens fall in the water where you are from? When was the last time you heard of a school of channels in a holding pattern waiting for a cow to bleed into the water. I did see a big Bluecat walking to McDonalds for a cheese burger once, but only once.
    I sure plan on giving them a try.