Using scallops for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by cat6028, Aug 30, 2009.

1. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ok i was thinking about it, but has anyone ever use scallops for bait for cats?

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i've used fresh water mussels and they work great.

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Nicholas they would have to be bad before i would ever think about useing scallops for bait ,except for me :wink::smile2:

4. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    years ago, i was swimmin in lake weiss and figured out if i dig my toes in the mud i could find freshwater clams. so i got a couple, went fishin, and had quite a few bites on em. try em out and let us know how it went.

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

At $10 a lb,they aint never gonna see a scallop on my hook!:crazy:

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have used clam snouts in MD when i was a kid fishing on the patomic river. The worked for me, but i have never used scallops. Too rich for my blood.:wink:

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    im with the rest of these guys if i buy scallops they wont make it to the fishing grounds with me in a bag. they will be in my stomach. I love those things. However i would have to think they would work well.

8. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I heard that. If the bait cost more per pound that buying the fish... :smile2:

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    lol the only place those scallop's are going is on to the grill then into my stomach:smile2:

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    scallops,shrimp,lobster,clams, all that stays home for the table :wink:

11. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    X2
    No cat will ever see one of them from me, thats for sure,,,:wink:
    Puddle

12. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Its been said that catfish will eat anything I tend to think they are more complex than that,that being said if you got a good deal on scallops try them as a far as to the answer to your question I dont think anybody here has tried them so give them a try and let us know.:wink:

13. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    reading about the scollops,shrimp, lobster, clams, man i am ready for a seafood boil...bring on the corn and patatos hell throw in some lemons, crawdads, crab and some old bay or slap yo mama and an ice cold beer.....DAMN IT MAN IM READY TO EAT....:big_smile:

14. festus

festus New Member

I'm probably one of the rare folks on here that doesn't like scallops, so I would try them if they were free. :wink: But I'd bet a bunch of money that catfish would wear scallops out simply because they're shellfish. I don't know any type of shellfish that catfish don't love, clams, shrimp, crawdads, mussells, prawns, etc.

15. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ok i had found some bay scallops at walmart for 4.50 a pound there flash frozen and i pay darn near that for the shrimp i use some times. I am gonna use them and see how they do next time i go fishing.

16. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    make sure you give a report back. like ive said before, if the fish are biting on 7 foot purple and yellow anacondas, we would all fish with them. $4.5 a pound aint bad for scollops i may need to run down to wally world and check that out.

17. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yeah im hopeing to find someone to go fishing with me on my next days off which are tuesday and wednesday this week at a private pond a friend of mine lives on and i'll try them then and give a report.

18. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ok scallops r not that great they break up pretty easy and all i caught on them was a couple gill at about 100 feet from shore and on bottom nun the less.

19. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    thanks for the report.

20. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    THANKS FOR THE REPORT!!!

i kinda figured that might be the case actually...i guess im going to have to just stick to cooking them on the ol' grill and eating them myself