Using Salt Water Bait Fish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by JPritch, Nov 13, 2007.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I'm going offshore for Tuna this weekend and while down there thought I might pick up some fresh saltwater bait fish such as mullet, menhaden, ballyhoo..... Wondering if anybody has tried this for big blues and if they worked. Those saltwater fish seem oilier and have a stronger smell than freshwater bait fish so in theory I would think it might work, but not sure since the cats probably haven't encountered those fish before.

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've heard of people using saltwater fish as bait before, such as mackeral and some of the others you mention. Try the California catfishing section, I think it is more common out there and maybe someone could tell you which works best. Good luck fishin'.

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I've heard that mackerel and menhaden can be pretty good; they use mackerel a lot in CA. I've tried it a coupla times here with limited success, but plan on trying it again when I can get some.

4. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have tried some large menhaden without much luck but never tried it when the fish were really biting. mullet works well and it is from saltwater.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I grew up in Calif. and all we used was anchovies sardines squid and mackerel for cats. Hope this helps

6. caneycat

caneycat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Both my PB blue and yella cats have ben caught on cut mullet, but i live on the coast so most of my bait that i use is salt water bait!

7. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I have used squid, mullet, skipjack, and various other types of cut bait for catfish. All I can say is its a little bit better than no cut bait at all. They seem to like what swims in their pond the best. Catfishjon

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Never tried any saltwater fish for bait, but it sure seems like it would be worth a try. I've tried squid with only fair results.

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I've done well with shrimp for blues and a few channel,I'm 2,000 miles from any saltwater.

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have used shrimp, squid, clams, crab meat, imitation crab meat and others and what I believe was a smelt (just recently). The channels (some bullheads) where slamming the smelt (if that what is was) when no one else was catching. When I went back out some one said you brung some of that magic bait with you. Another guy that was out there for hours was catching nothing until I gave him a few of these fishes. Then they have those Black Saltys which are used for both fresh and salt water. So i guess the answer would be yes at least for channels and bullheads we dont have blues down these parts :sad2: so I don't know about those guys...

11. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Looks like a mixed bag of results. I'm gonna pick some up anyways and give it a try on one or two of my poles next time I fish.

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Since I live on the coast and the "saltwater" baitfish come up the rivers, I use menhaden and mullet for baits all of the time and they work great. Menhaden are so oily that they are very tough to keep fresh, though. I prefer to use them within a few hours of being caught. Mullet are not as oily as you think (they are pretty good eating as a matter of fact), but also make great baits. I have even caught a few blues on the bloodline meat trimmed out of king mackerel fillets.

13. GUP

GUP New Member

State:
    Washington, MO
    I have had some pretty good success on the Missouri River catching using Blueback Herring. I buy them frozen from a supplier already vacuum. Someone here said they are oilier than freshwater fish, and I agree they are. I cut their tails off, and use a bait needle to leave the hook out the tail. Works pretty good for the short biters.

14. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I do pretty good with popeye mullet. I fillet it then put a few fillets in ziploc bag with a lot of salt and they become leathery. I've caught flatheads and channels with that. It works very good in the lake I fish but I haven't had any luck with it in the river.