Using Rainbow Trout for Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by festus, Aug 14, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

OK, I hope I don't offend any trout fishermen. In the past 15 or so years, using live trout has become popular in East Tennessee. I had been hearing about this for a while. One of my friends moved to the Watauga River area and caught many stripers over 30 and 40 pounds on trout minnows. It is legal here. From what I understand, if you catch your trout on hook and line, you can use up to your limit on bait. If you get checked by a game warden, of course, you better not have over a limit of trout. Also there's some type of rule if you buy your trout you must show the officer a receipt.

At a fish hatchery these trout will run about $9.00 a dozen. Since the nearest fish hatchery is over an hours drive from me, buying and transporting these isn't feasible. But, I live within about 25 minutes of a bait shop that sells them for a little over $2.00 apiece. This is expensive, but I hear they are more hardy on a hook than you would expect. These trout at the tackle shop are plenty big enough to eat.

I was just curious, has anyone on here tried live trout for bait? You'd think that any catfish big enough to eat a trout would hit it. Most of these are sold to striper fishermen, but why not try them for cats or muskies? I'm not going to try this until the weather cools down.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I catch trout, they stock them here in the winter in certin areas, and use the trout guts and heads for bait. Kansas's state recourd channel was caugth on a trout head

3. festus

festus New Member

RWG, I've heard that stripers prefer trout over shad or skipjack, which are two of the most heralded baits in the area. The bait shop can't keep them in stock. Why wouldn't they work on catfish? These trout are from 8" to about 11" long. Edible.

Well, if I thought like a fish, if I had my druthers, I'd rather eat a trout than a shad any day!:smile2:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Useing trout is prohibited here in California:sad2:

5. festus

festus New Member

I think it is in most states.

6. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    Your right about the regulations. But i've never tried them for cats. Stripers eat them, but work better if the body of water you fish has trout swimming in it...

7. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Hey do any of ya'll know if the hatchery at Dale Hollow sells trout?

8. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey i sell trout in nc in the winter if you google you can find private hatcheries where you can buy i have bought some in or near johnson city tenn belive the place was call hamptons trout pond trout will keep all winter if you can keep the water temp down below 60 and keep the water clean once they poop out takes 2 to 3 days will only need to change water once a week and they do need alot of air i keep them in a 300 hundred gallon stock tank i will get 1000 at a time hope this helps bob bait

9. festus

festus New Member

Hey Bob, how much do trout usually cost? You may be talking about the same hatchery my friend was buying his for $9.00 or $10.00 a dozen. He used to live in Johnson County, TN, which isn't very far. I know of one more hatchery in Riceville, TN, which is about halfway between Knoxville and Chattanooga. I was in that neck of the woods the other day, but the temperature was 96 degrees outside, so I didn't even think about stopping and asking.

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i like to save the trout heads and guts...they seem to work well. i wouldn't waste a good trout for bait....

11. Handy089

Handy089 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    In Georgia you aren't allowed to use trout that you catch as bait. You are allowed to buy them at a bait shop however. In addition you must have a receipt to prove you purchased them. They are very hardy baits if fished in cooler water. Above around 65-68 deg. they start to languish. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the expense or trouble of keeping them alive if they aren't present in the water you're fishing since the bait that is present is what the predators are searching for.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  12. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i know that trout heads are good bait, ive never used a live one.

13. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

They work great here in Pa. They are actually legal to use but in Pa you can't use Carp. I can't figure that out.:confused2: They are great live or used as cut bait. We have plenty of Trout streams and lakes here, so we don't buy them. We've caught all kinds of fish on them.

14. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i can't use them for bait here, but the first spring channels we catch every year have trout in their stomachs. question is did they eat em live or dead? trout start dying off here about mid march. muskies on the other hand should about cut a rainbow in half.

15. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Illegal to use any live bait here in washington, except worms & halgermites(dragon fly larva). But they do use trout as cut bait here, some guys buy it local grocery store & others use what hey have caught. 90% of the trout here are stocked, cool thing is they start stocking in Feb & most of the ponds & lakes near where I live are open year round, course ya got to beat the illegal mexicans to the ponds to get some fish.

16. Jap

Jap New Member

State:
    NC
    I used some the past two weeks as cut-bait, I bought mine at the store from the butcher, their skin is tuff stays on the hook wonderful. The game warden laughed at me when he ran up on me, so dont think its illegal here in north carolina least as cut-bait that is.