Using nylons to hold your bait on the hook

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jerellman, May 17, 2006.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    Does anyone put their bait in nylon stockings? If you do, do they work well? And what baits do you use in it and how do you hook it?

2. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I've seen some pretty goodlookin bait in nylons:cool2:

OH catfish bait, one way is cut nylon in strips, hook thru one end, hook liver as much as possible, then wrap nylon around bait and hook thru end.
    another way is cut nylon into squares, place liver in center, gather top together, hook thru top and back thru bait.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I just as soon cure my liver then to use nylons or thread to me its just as easy and productive.

4. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    would it work if you got a whole nylon and put the bait in then just tie a big knot then hook it through the knot?

5. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Lord a mercy youngin, what size catfish you catchin!! them there nylons will stretch. (I've seen em stretched!) :confused2:
    you could fillem with sand and hit the catfish with it!
    I never seen a catfish big enough to grab a pair of nylons full of CHICKEN LIVER?

6. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    My recommendation is to go to wally world or a fabric store and look for some cheap lacey fabric. I picked up a quarter yard of white fabric with holes in it big enough to let some of the liver our, but still solid enough to hold the bulk of it in, for $0.25. And it's made of cotton, so it'll decompose easliy.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Here are some helpful hints.DO NOT use nylons that have been worn.The scent of the original owner will still be in them and cause problems.Try not to use nylons that still have the original owner in them.Very hard to cast with normal tackle and the whole thing makes a hellacious screech when flying through the air.NEVER put any nylons under your front seat,in the glove compartment or in your tackle box if you are married.I don't care what the salesclerk at WalMart tells your wife she isn't going to believe it.Might be safer for YOU to cure your liver as opposed to having it cut out by an irate female.:lol: :tounge_out: :smile2:

8. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I usually freeze my liver in ice trays and wrap them in hose and put pack in freezer until im ready to go fishing .....

But if curing will produce the same thing with alot less work i might have too read some posts and learn this technigue......

9. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lionel, you just aren't right brother!:lol:

10. pinto

pinto New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I usually use chicken livers and put them on a trebile hook. But the trick is go to Wal-Mart and pick up some sewing thread and rap it a couple of times around your livers. Works great for me.

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jerell, I have done this and it works quiet well,especially if you are using really rotten liver.Start with fresh liver and one leg of pantie hose. Drop half or whole liver down to the toe and tie a knot, move up just a little bit and tie another knot, now insert another piece of liver, tie knot then another knot and so on. Cut between knots with scissors and you will have ready made pouches, that will stay on your hook. Just hook through a pinch of hose so your hook is well exposed, the nylon is tough and you can cast really far. I know you will like it. You can get quite a few out of one leg if you pull every thing tight. Good luck,

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've Never Had Any Luck W/nylons, Seems Like The Fish Don't Like It To Me. They Always See To Spit It Out. Try Small Rubber Bands.

13. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I've tried it all,and I noticed I didn't catch as many fish with any of them except thread.Only costs 50cents and lot less trouble.Use sissors to cut your liver it doesn't rip up the membrain and helps it stay on better.Use the same sissors to cut the thread off when done fishing.For me curing/frezing doesn't work as well as fresh thawed liver from the store.refrozen once thawed is really runny-cured didn't catch as many fish.I use a kahle hook,and have had much more bites over the treble,and as good of hook-ups.I catch more fish on liver than any cut bait.