Using mussels for Catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by okiefish, Jan 10, 2006.

1. okiefish

okiefish New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hello all,
    I live in Oklahoma and Lake Eufaula is way down, due to the drought.

We were down on our dock, which is almost a dry dock now.
    I noticed we have a large amount of mussells there and wondered if anyone has ever tried them for bait?
    So many have tried other unusual things!

Let me know if you have tried them or ever heard of any one who has!

2. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    we used them not too long ago and we had several good hits eventhough fishing overall was slow. I have also used clams with success also.

3. okiefish

okiefish New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Did you do anything to the mussells prior to using them for bait?

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Used them when I was a teen. I lived in Louisiana then and they became protected by the state. we opened the mussells and threaded on a treable hook as you would chicken liver.

5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I use them whenever i can find them. They are an awesome bait for channels!!! Prolly my most favorite. I don't know if it's legal in your state but i would leave them where they are until you need some bait and then just use a net or something to get them. That way they would be fresh. Check your state laws before doin this as I'm not sure if it would be legal or not.

6. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have used them for years. I also caught plenty blues with small muscles in there gut, shells and all. My son caught a blue that was 6 lbs and he had 9 muscles in his gut the size of a quarter.

7. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have not yet tried them, but will next time I get one

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Mussels are awesome bait.....Blue Cats feed on them very heavily in the warmer months. Usually not in the winter much. I have noticed that Big Blues will gorge thereself with mussels in the fall. I have noticed that if you find a "Mussel Bed" then most likely at the right time that is a good or great fishing spot. Seems like they usually like mussel beds in shallow water near drop-offs that go to deeper water.

Zakk.

9. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

There are mussels all over a little private lake i fish,it's about a 25 acre lake,that has about 15 acres of water left in it.You can just walk(fish) down
    the bank,and pick up all the bait you want.They will tear them up.i have a big blade knife that i pry them open and rake out the mussel,pretty simple,and stays on the hook good also!
    Ernie

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if im not mistaken here in ohio its a big fine if your caught with any. you cant even have the shells you find along the river in your possesion!

11. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i like useing mussels for bait when i can get them best places i get them from is in old ponds with muddy bottoms just jump in and swim around the bottom can get a bucket full real quick all the ones i see in the shallows around the lake are always opend up and insides gone guess something is eatting them when i was a lil fart i would get them out of our pond near the house and lay them out on the dock and after the sun heats them up they will stick there (guess youd call it their tounge) tounge out and i would stab my hook threw it and it would suck it back in and close up worked really good just never caught any fish off it due to the fact that the hook is inside the shell. :)

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I often catch blues in the spring that are stuffed with zebra mussells. I've seen stomachs so full of mussells that they were as big as both of my fists put together; and that's for an 8#-10# blue. Anus all red and bloody looking from passing shells. Oooo, that's gotta hurt!

13. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio

you are right about that...........opps I think I said something about using some