Using mormon crickets for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by YUKON JACK, Feb 5, 2008.

1. YUKON JACK

YUKON JACK New Member

State:
    WASHINGTON
    ANY ONE EVER USED MORMAN CRICKETS FOR BAIT. WORKS GREAT FOR CHANNEL CATS HERE IN WASHINGTON!

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Welcome to the family. Never heard of em. Are they the ones that knock on your door when ya are eatin? LOL!

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Ohhhhh, I see now. I had to look them up, wasn't familiar with the term "Mormon crickets". I call those cave crickets, but I've never tried using them for bait. They're really a katydid, hmmm. Glad they work for ya Jack, and welcome to the BOC! We're glad to have you :big_smile:.

Here's a link if anyone wants to know more about Mormon crickets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_cricket

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use crickets to catch bluegils sometimes in the summer. Never tried them on cats though:crazy:

5. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC, glad you have a bait that works for ya.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I use mirical grow and, feed them a strict diet of lettuce and ground beef!!! The can reach upwards to 2lbs and, I sell them to one of the tournament fishermen around here for bait!! You have to keep them in a stall in a barn under controlled conditions to maximize their growth rate, LMAO!!!

Audie says, he catches all his big ones on 2lb crickets, LOL!!!

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jack Welcome to the BOC. I have never heard of your bait. I look forward to reading your post.

9. mrguffy

mrguffy New Member

State:
    Pa.
    I have never heard of a mormon cricket, is it like a regular cricket,or more like a grasshopper? Have caught cats on grasshoppers. Thanks for the post.
    Good luck and good fishing, remember to leave some for seed.
    Bob

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina

I was going to say, when I looked over your first post there, that's not a cave cricket! lol I used to use cave or camel crickets back home for sunfish and smallmouth bass. But never caught any cats on them, and never even encountered a mormon cricket. I actually was checking this post out because I thought it was a joke.

11. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i saw something on the Discovery Channel about these morman crickets. They swarmed Utah back in the day and wiped out all the Morman's crops. kinda like a swarm of locusts

12. YUKON JACK

YUKON JACK New Member

State:
    WASHINGTON
    :wink:IF YA LOOK UP MORMON CRICKETS UNDER IMAGES AT MSN.COM THEY HAVE PICS THEY ARE LIKE A REALLY BIG FAT GRASSHOPPER WHEN THEY GET FULL GROWN. CHECK THEM OUT HERE THE PEOPLE WHO TARGET CATS ARE STUCK ON CHICKEN LIVERS AND CUTBAIT BUT THESE CRICKETS ARE THE BEST BAIT I'VE USED SO FAR! LOOK EM' UP AND SEE IF YA HAVE EM' WHERE YOUR FROM!

13. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    No George, you are confusing them with Jehovah's Crickets...W

14. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Now Im Skeered,what will I get this summer when I go to the bait shop and ask for crickets:eek:oooh: