Using live bait..!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by dylan543, Sep 18, 2007.

1. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Okay i am young but love to fish.don't kno why it's just one of my desired hobbies.i have a catmaster rod and reel bought it for 40$.I am in the country and there is a pond next to my house i fish often.it is 25 to 27 years old.there are flatheads bass bluegill yellow bellys channels and maybe blues.But one day i was using some worms thought maybe i would catch some bass but when i look at my pole it was sliding of the dock and i was like :crazy: so i grabbed it the hook was allready set and and 1 second later my line snaps and it was 20lb test? but this was about 4 months ago but i have cought one channel about 20lbs.So my oldest bro. is kinda a hardcore fishermen.So he told me to use live bait or cut i do kno that usually u poke out their eye or cut of a fin.and u don't use a sinker.and u set ur drag really low so he can pull it and go where ever and when the bait stops u tighten ur line and set ur drag and wait.but i don't kno the best way to hook the fish or anything like that tips are very much so appreciated.and also how would i catch some of the older bass or very much older cats.because i think they restocked the pond a while ago.the people don't live there they rent it out for people so that is a great advantage.Please help me....!!:big_smile:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like you have a nice place to fish. take care of the opportunity to be there and leave no trash, and pick up trash that isn't yours as well!!! lol . ok, to the fishing. if you are using a spinning reel outfit, you can simply back the drag down low so the line is easy to pull from the reel. this will allow the fish to run with your livebait. when it starts running, let him have it for a short distance so he can have the majority of the bait. big baits let them run for a while. smaller baits you can let them go a few feet. then simply try to tighten your drag just enough to get an adequate hookset. i sometimes start tightening and take my hand and stop the spool to set the hook, then adjust the drag to fight accordingly. the main thing is try not to change the amount of pressure much when moving the rod around. flats don't mind pressure from the rod or line as long as it is constant! if you are fishing a baitcaster type reel you can back the side drag off the same, or put it in free spool with your line wrapped around a popcan crimmped in the middle for a bite indicater. be careful though if doing that. that is a quick way to get backlashes! lol. baits, i would use whatever is in the pond.. they are used to eating the same species. i also suggest checking into getting some slip-floats or big bobbers and try to suspend your gills or cuts. nice presentation for pond fishing.. i hope this helps some. get yourself a bigun!!:wink:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sorry i didn't fully answer your question.. try to hook your baits either through the lips, behind the dorsel fin on the back, or through the tail, using 7-10/0 hooks. i prefer gamukatsu j-style hooks...goodluck..rollo

4. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks... will do.i do have a rig and stuff that came wit my pole it has like the slip bobber thingy and stuff so yea.:wink: