Using lights during night fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by zeboman, Mar 10, 2008.

1. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Do you use lights or a lantern durng night fishing? I always do , I don`t think it bothers the fish what do you guys think?

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I use lights when I night fish. It doesn't seem to bother the fish that I catch. I don't know about all the others that I don't catch.

3. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
  4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I bought a 5' tall anchor light for the stern. Keeps the light out of your eyes, and lights up the rod tips pretty well.

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    When ever I do any Night fishing out here on the Ca. Delta, I always like to get all set up about one hour before the sun sets. In the last 15 or 20 mins or so (of setting up), I turn on the lantern so as the sun is going down the light of the lantern looks natural, as if it has been there all along. Then I could just cast my line out only about 10 or 20 yards for the shoreline or set some bait under a bobber, and as soon as the bait floats to the edge of the light/dark water line --- "Fish On"!
    :0a23:
    The light for me brings in the bait fish (if it is shining on the water) & the "Real Fish" are just waiting for them to swim out of that light or close enough to the edge of it, so they could gobble them up.
    "and it works everywhere I night fish"
    (Turst me :wink:)

That's what my Grandfather told me about night fishing. and just judging by some of the fish I have landed at night --- He was right.
    :wink:

Take It Easy Guys,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania :0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

6. muddyjet

muddyjet New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Here on the river around these swamps I try not to use my lights very much. Have started using 1.5" glow sticks taped to my rod tip, in green. I have also tried using a 15" glow stick and submerged it about 2ft under the boat, it works, draws bait fish!!!!!! Read about it and it really drew in the smaller fish. And when I needed light I had it right there. The biggest benefit of these lights it didnt hurt my eyes and never lost my 'night vision.'

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I find pretty much any light helpful... seems to help attract the baitfish well enough to warrant the use of it.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i normally just use a head lamp. only use it when i have to bait or unhook a fish. if you use a lantern hang it high and dont cast shadows over the water. the light is fine but movement will spook shallow fish!

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i use artifical light as needed if im near the city the city lights usually are enough to get around, flashlight for baiting walking in darker area ect. i usually try not to shine directly at the water. fishing in the sticks is pretty dark and i cant see in the dark so ill use a lantern. brightness depends on how many strange noises i hear. i like to have just enough light see no more, unless i hear something i dont like :eek:oooh:then that suckers cranked.:embarassed:

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    A observation I have made...If I catch a cat at night and shine a flashlight on him to land him he will freak out and go the other way. We have done this to keep fish out of rocks also.

-Jim-

11. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I try not to in a boat. Seems the flathead bite is better on the dark no moon night so I think about that while I am fishing.

12. AlwaysFishin

AlwaysFishin New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I know a lot of the old timers on the pond circuit don't use any light. Bobbers are tipped with the little glow sticks or similar lights. You won't find any of those guys with a lantern.

On the other side--I've seen just as many fish caught by folks with their lanterns right beside the water.

I don't think the light hurts myself, but would be careful not to cast a shadow over the water.

13. AlwaysFishin

AlwaysFishin New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Jim, that's a great tip to guide your fish or keep it away from where you want him to be. Thanks.

14. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use a lot of lights rigged so I can turn them on easily whenever I need them. I don't want to fumble around in the dark when I have a nice fish on. On my pontoon boat I have a set of portable clamp lights that I run off of my trolling motor batteries. I have a D.C. power plug hooked into the 12 volt electric trolling motor batteries. Then I plug in a 150 watt power inverter into the socket. This power inverter converts the battery D.C. power to A.C. and I can just plug in portable clamp lights to use wherever I want. I use the new low wattage incandescent light bulbs which only use 15 watts of energy but give me about the equivalent of a 60 to 100 watt light. Those low wattage bulbs are perfect for fishing situations because they use very little battery power.

I use the portable clamp lights that I just clamp on my bimini top, running one light on the front of the boat and another aft. I have my lights rigged up fairly high, about 8 feet in the air. During the heat of the summer when the bugs are bad I will run the amber bug lights and they will keep the bugs to a minimum. You will still get some bugs but if you can get them up in the air, it keeps the bugs up and out of your face. If the bugs are bad I will run the lights sparingly but they are really handy when you need them. I can switch them on and off quickly so I'll use the lights when anchoring or repostioning, they are perfect for when lines are tangled or when baiting lines, and I use them just about everytime we are landing a fish.

I've never found the lights to hurt my fishing. I consider them essential - I don't leave home without them.

15. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i like green lights and use them often and keep a flashlight handy for tying knots but most of the time dont shine light in water because of flaties being kinda shy and all hope this helps

16. chris dornbusch

chris dornbusch New Member

State:
    iowa
    I tend to fish under tree or reel close so I put some rope on mine and, thow it in the tree(up high so I dont draw in the bugs.)I also have a spot light and a floor light that I only use when I have to,this saves on batteries.

17. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    if i am flathead fishing i only use a head lamp with the red lens, i sit it the dark with the clicker on and only use the light when baiting or netting, i think lights scare fish, so i avoid them whenever possible, as for channel fishing i use circle hook with the rod in a holder with a red light shining on the tip so i can see when its loading up.. thats the way i do it..

18. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    Not me, if i turn a light on the bugs will eat me alive. I use a little head lamp that clips to my hat, and flip it on and off when i need it. My dad drives me crazy with his lanterns tho, he's always gotta have one fired up when fishing at night. I prefer to see the stars.

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I don't use light much at all, other than my red head light. I hate the bugs and if I'm fishing shallow I really don't want any bright lights shining on the water.

20. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice blue:wink: