Using Leaders..............

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by PABowhunter4life, Jun 11, 2009.

1. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    I was just wondering how many of you believe that using a leader is a must when going after big cats. I never have in the past and knock on wood, I have never had any issues just tieing a hook directly to my 50# Power Pro Braid.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Havein had my hand in a few cats mouths I'll say this. A strong heavier leader is a must. I can only imagine what that maw would do to braided line.

3. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    cant see fishing in the missouri river without a swivel and a strong leader

4. PABowhunter4life

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    So what do you guys use for leader material? Standard mono? Wire? Or Flurocarbon? Out of curiosity, what size swivels do you guys use?

5. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    im new to everything myself but i use 60# leaders and the larger swivels number 1 or 3 i get them mixed up everyone does things differnt i just use what i got im done spending money till i start catching some fish lol.

6. PABowhunter4life

State:
    Blawnox, PA

I think you just broke a man law lol :crazy:

In all seriousness though, thanks for the input bud.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use short 5-6 inch mono leaders tied to a swivel with a palamar knot.I use 50# Big game mono.I like the leader for two reasons.1.I use 80# braid for my main line,and it,s a real bust in the ass to snap it off when you get hung up.2.I like the added abrasion resistance of the mono.I use a sliding rig about 90% of the time,the swivel also acts as my sinker stop too.:big_smile:

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    In your swivel selection,, you can buy them in # rating,,75#, 100#, 225#, etc. look in the catalog stores,, and they have enough of a selection to really confuse you..
    the heavier ones, have larger eyes, which to me,, makes tieing the knots a bit easier,,
    and if you get a stout rated swivel, you won't cry like a girl , like when a fish breaks a cheap one!! :tounge_out:
    I also tie my hook directly to the mainline,, but, I use mono,, 30-50# usually:wink:

9. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    i use a medium size swivels with 30# eagle claw wire leaders

10. PABowhunter4life

State:
    Blawnox, PA

Now you have me wondering here. If you are using a wire leader then why even bother with the swivel? Why not just tie the leader directly to the braid/main line?

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My leader is the same as my main line, 25-lb test mono.

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

NO SUCH THING AS OVERKILL!Some of my terminal tackle MAY be heavier than I can get by with,but I spend too much time fishing for that once in a lifetime fish.If I do get him on I don,t wanna lose it because a dollar piece of tackled failed.ALWAYS better SAFE than SORRY :wink:and yes ,I would cry like a little girl!:sad2:

13. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    For me, I go for heavier swivels. Size 1/0, or rating of at least 100#. My leader material has been Ande fluorocarbon or Cajun Red mono in 50# test with an 80#-100# main line.

I agree. The larger eyes on the swivels make knot tying alot easier.

14. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    Hey how come some people use a leader that is larger than their main line?

15. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Off topic but your Tag Line is cool. That's pretty much what my lures have functioned as over the years. :smile2:

16. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    If a very heavy main line is used some people us a lighter leader so when snagged the leader breaks. When a fairly light main line is used a heavy leader is in order to over come the wear from rock, snags, or the catfish's mouth. Some people use a similar size leader, compared to the main line, and just change it as it gets worn. Just different applications for different situations. Also some lines are more wear resistant than others of the same breaking strength. Fluorocarbon and mono are more wear resistant than braid.

17. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    Cats like to roll when hooked, the swivel prevents the line from twisting & possibly braking.

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use about 4 ft of 40# big cat mono for a leader but my main line is 80# power pro braid, that way if i get a snag my leader will break before the pricey braided line, if your using braided line with no shock leader you can rip the hook out while settin the hook since there is no stretch with the braid, also the braided line isn't very abrasive resistant like the mono is

19. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I use mono 40lb main line with a 3 foot 80lb mono leader and 1/0 swivels...the 40lb main line lets me spool more on the reel and the leader gives me some sawing power in structure....