Using Large Kahle Hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by roh1961, Oct 2, 2006.

1. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I know there are many different ways to rig live bait. Is there a preferred method of hooking live bait with large kahle hooks?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Many people that use large Kahles including myself like to hook live bait right behind the dorsal fin, has worked well for me so far. I also have hooked bait thru the eyes and mouth though, doesn't seem to make a big difference.

3. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    That is the same way I do as well. The ones that or Bigger then 6 inches or so I hook thru the mouth because they seem not to fall off the hook a easy for me.

If you are using 10/0 or bigger that is if not then over 4 inch bait is to big for smaller then 9/0 hooks IMO. Hope this helps

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Depends on where you are fishing.In still waters like a lake I like to hook live bait and I am assuming here we mean gills ,perch etc behind the dorsal fin because cats pretty much swallow those baits from the rear.In a river or current then thru the lips is much more practical.Not sure what Kahle hooks has to do with this but that is where I would hook up regardless of hook type.:big_smile:

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    good point there jim , in a lake you can hook the bait any where and not worry about presentation but in the river or heavy current its best to hook them in the head thru the lips or eyes , not in the back because they will tend to spin in the water

6. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I know the question sounds dumb, but I thought there might be some kind of special way of threading on the bait that will hide some of the shank like you can with cut bait. It seems like some of the time fish are sensitive to touching the metal and stop their bite. The kahle hooks present a longer shank. Thanks, Randy

7. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i run mine though the eyes or the dorso fine that what works the best for me

8. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    alot of times i will use a stringer hook one in the mouth or eyes and a smaller hook by the tail seems to work really well for me

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I like to use Khales for cut bait, Octopus hooks for live bait, big river hooks for big live bait.
    * I generaly use 10/0 in both styles.
    ~A

10. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Not a dumb question at all, I wouldn't worry about the exposed shank, I don't think that Catfish will shy away from the steel at all, not even on cut bait but definitely not on a live bait. Hooking just under the dorsal fin is how I hook mine unless in swift current , in that case I run the hook in their mouth and out the top through a nostril.