Using jigs for channel catfish

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by catfishbeatty81, May 5, 2006.

1. catfishbeatty81

catfishbeatty81 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    anybody use jigs for channel cats i thinking about buying some and trying them out.:confused2:

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I never have. Its live bait or cut bait for me. Sometimes I have used prepaired/homemade bait, but I think if you want to catch numbers or large cats, you'd be better of with live or cut bait.

3. catfishbeatty81

catfishbeatty81 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i'm talking about using jig head

4. wpg_catfisher

wpg_catfisher New Member

State:
    manitoba
    if you were using a jig for cats i'd say use nothin smaller than a 1.5oz heavy wire jig perferably 2oz but i'd say it def would work

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Try the (GITZIT) "Baby blue eyes" Jig. It seems to work pretty good for me on my lighter tackle rods. (Not my intended target fish) but seem to catch alot of blues on it when fishin the bottom for perch. Just a thought.

6. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Try using a floating jig head. They are made for walleyes I believe. A lot of people put a float between there hook and sinker to keep the bait off the bottom, I floating jig head should do the same thing with less distractions.

7. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I have some store bought dip bait jigs. I can't rember where I got them but they come in several colors I thought it was at the catfish connection but I didn't see them in the catalog SE YOU ON THE FISHBANK SOMETIME

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    as long as you aren't trying for large fish or you can get some good stout wire hooks go for it... it eliminates the need for excessive knots and the weight is right there... like a rigging in a small little package... have some 3 ounce saltwater jigs cause they were like $.25 for a pack of two so i snatched them up... yet to use them but could work well

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Catching channels on artifical's has become pretty popular sport! There are actually people that target cats with crank baits, jig's and flies. More then once I have laid my rod down on the side of a dock and had a channel cat try to take it with just a crappie jig hanging in the water.

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Last summer I was White bass fishing waiting for the sun to go down for some catfishing.. Basically following the shad around and pitching a Kastmaster.. I ended up with two channels 3-4# each...