Using golf balls for weight?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by strohcephus, Mar 6, 2008.

1. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I hope I did my homework here, but I searched everywhere and did not find any information on this idea.

I stumbled upon an old timer fishing the canal near my local power plant. The canal is man made (of course) which consists of the normal sand bottom and concrete chunks on the banks for rip rap. I have fished this type of area my whole life, but only now have I learned from the old timer (well seasoned fisher of cats) that golf balls make great weights for this or any type of cat fishing. (He had it clipped at the end of the line, using what I call "crappie rigs" )

He had purchased brass eyelets, not hooks, that are threaded and commonly used anywhere and screwed them into the golf ball. He said the ball will roll with the current, then hold in place when the slack is gone. He said the golf ball has little to no drag when retreiving, and will "bounce" over rocks when catching a fish, or reeling in. He said he can cast them "a mile" as well.

His tub full of catfish, and the fact he could not remember the last time he lost one, was enough evidence to me that this idea works.

I thought the idea was brilliant and plan on giving it a try asap.

Just thought I would share the idea with the brotherhood.

(Can you drill a hole through the ball, to make a slip sinker?) I don't golf so not quite sure what's in there........I'll wait for a reply before I try!:smile2:

Larry

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sounds like a darn good idea to me. You can bet one thing Those old timers know a lot more tricks than we do. Far as drilling holes in a golf ball I see no reason why you can't.You see people playing Hillbilly Golf all the time with a string or small rope through a G.Ball.They had to drill it in order to do that.No more than a G.B cost give it a try.Shucks I got a couple I found,I'll give it a try.Probably work better with a drill press.Let you know.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing a good idea. Never thought of that before. If your wanting to make a slip sinker out of your suggestion. Just attach a snaplock swivel to the line and the the snap to the eyelet you have placed in the golf ball.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Ok heres the deal.I just went out and drilled 2 Balls.Small drill bit set up on my drill press .No problem drilling. Put 1 on my ABU 6000 the other on my Penn 209. Hey it works great. Haven't tried fishing yet but I can cast the 6000 farther than I ever did.About the same with the 209. Next time I go fishin I'm gonna give them a good workout .Thanks for the idea. Reps to ya buddy.Can see how they would bounce over the bottom the way they bounce in the yard.

5. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    Great! I can sell my boat now because all I need to do is take my golf club fishing with me, tee that sucker up, and I can cast 200 yards.

6. Shreveport Mike

Shreveport Mike New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm gonna try it.

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I don't think you can get one to slip though.
    Last time I had a golf ball apart it was wound with rubber bands.
    Some even had a liquid filled sack inside.
    If you need it to slip I'd try the screw eye.
    the best to ya
    just

8. baldy804

baldy804 New Member

State:
    wyoming
    thanks for the tip sounds good dont see y u couldnt drill it its just made of rubber bands inside i dont golf either but i know u can find alot of golfballs just lying around just outside of golf course grounds or in the ponds if they let u go gettem its alot cheaper than buying them

9. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I knew them little white balls ought to be good for something.

10. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Try threading one of those small plant hanger type screws in it. They are about 3/4 in long and have a course thread on them with a closed eye. It will go far enough into the core to hold it. Then you have cannon ball type sinker.
    The pink ones might suit DH:smile2:. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

11. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    I have a bunch laying around the house that kids have found over the years.Going to have try nothing else with 8-13 in snow forecast for today.

12. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    that is cool:cool2:

13. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That is a wonderful idea. Im going to have to deffinitly try that out there and on the river one day.

14. Fishbit

Fishbit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Most of the newer balls are solid core and can be drilled through pretty easy for a slip rig. There is at least one kind with a liquid center and would be best used with the little eye screws.
    I made a bunch of the hillbilly golf games and used some of the left over drilled balls to practice distance casting with on a surf rod. They will sink in the ground some but not near as bad as a big lead sinker, you have to dig them back up.
    Ask almost any old golfer and he'll probably give you all the old used balls you can carry.
    If this works real good, you can change your name to GOLFCAT.

15. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    think im going to hit my son-n-law up for somegolf balls now,lol

16. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    HOw fast do they sink? they seem like they would have some bouyancy to them .. also has anyone weighed one ? im curious how heavy they are?

17. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The United States Golf Association set restrictions on the weight and size of the golf ball. The weight of the ball should not exceed 1.620 ounces and must have a diameter of at least 1.680 inches.

18. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    thanks griz... i think it could work in a lake but not so great in the river current..

19. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    I don't think they would work real good in any kind of current. I would think anything over 2 oz. current would not work....

20. bluewatercat

bluewatercat New Member

State:
    Killen Alabama
    So thats what those little white things are laying out in the pasture. thought they had something to do with the cows. Think I will try a few myself. Watched them being made on the tv the other night.