Using Gill Nets in TX - Is it legal?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by ramon06, Jan 21, 2010.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I lived in Texas for about 10 years and never knew anything about these, but since I've moved to Va we use these to catch shad for bait. I plan on moving back to Texas this summer and wanted to know if I could use my 50' Gill net for baitfish in the resevoirs and Rivers of Texas? I know you can use cast nets.

2. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Ramon if I am not mistaken, gill nets are illegal in Texas. I will do a little digging to make sure though. I do know that a seine can be used to take non game fish but it cannot be over 20' long. I will call a game warden buddy of mine today to find out because I have not found anything on the website about gill nets.

3. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    gill nets are illegal within the boundaries of texas however you can use a gill net in coastal waters to catch non-gamefish only on a side note throw nets may not be more than 7ft in diameter or 14ft in circumference hope this helps

4. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks bro, I hope you can however I doubt it. Guess I'll have to succomb to using a castnet like everyone else for shad. Is that what you use on Lake Tawakoni or however you spell it? I guess I'll just use my Bluegill trap for gills

5. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Thank you kind sir

6. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    where abouts are ya moving to ramon i know of a few good places to catch shad that isnt too hard on the net i'm sure one of us here can help ya out about where to go to catch shad

7. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Yeah Ramon I use a 7 ft radius (which is the maximum) throw net to catch shad at Tawakoni. They do allow shad trawls in Texas but I have never seen one used.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    shad trawl..ohhh hohohohoooo

9. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Killeen/Fort Hood. I will primarily be fishing Still House Hollow and Belton Lake. But I plan on hitting Tawakoni and Lake Buchanon, I dont mind traveling a couple hours to fish

10. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    By the look of your fatigues you must be in the service. My oldest son just graduated Air Force bootcamp and got shipped to the Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland for tech school. When you get down this way and want to come to Tawak, look me up I would be happy to show you around. Summertime big blues are really tough but the winter time blues are a blast.

11. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah I been in the army 14 years now. I hope to be back at Hood in August, and I know the summes in Texas are brutal lol. I will definetly look you up and take a trip there a few times. I hope to join in on the Texas forums and catch some big cats, I was some what of a ammature while I was there, I could catch a million eater channels but I had only caught a 10LB Flattie, 10LB Large mouth and never any blues but I have learned so much since being on the BOC I would love to use some of my techniques on the Texas waters, thanks again see ya on the water. oh by th way tell your son thanks for joinging the service and be safe if he has to deploy

12. divingcat

divingcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Back in the early 1960's when I was a young kid, my father and I used gill nets in lake Houston. Now, they might have been illegal back then, but I did not know it. I do remember the massive amount of carp we would catch. Of course, they would catch almost anything except catfish.
    Again, they might have been illegal even way back then, but I do know they are very effective for carp.

13. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    From what I have been told, they are illegal in Texas public waters. Game warden buddy of mine told me that. He said there are some exceptions but he didn't know what they were.

14. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for doing the research for me Cathog. I will look up the exceptions. I mean its a Shad Gill net and only built for that purpose so hopefully I can find a loophole or find out that I can use it.