Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the small rivers that I fish is very rocky with what I would describe as rock walls rising 30 or more feet above the water in places with water ranging from 3-15 feet at the base of the wall. Over time rocks have slid off of the “cliffs” at waters edge and made underwater rock piles. Because some of these rocks are very large and slab like they’ve created good flathead habitat.
I’ve considered fishing them during daytime hours from a boat and though I’ve never fished cats with a float I suspect that drifting a big baitfish through these areas could be a great way to locate the flatheads. The problem is that there are rapid depth changes and moderate 2 or so mph current. I’d love some tips from you guys. I’ve considered pitching a bait into the water here and there maybe trying to drag it a bit then moving along pitching to different areas but I’m guessing that I’m gonna go through a lot of hooks and lead in the process. Maybe that’s just the cost I’m gonna hafta pay???

· Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,912 Posts
Spring time, ready for spawn, the flats here are know to be along the riprap of upstream sides of the dams. This is like Gavins Point and Ft. Randall. A foam float with very small bullhead about three foot or more underneath will work. You must really watch it as bullhead will pull to rocks to hide. It also dificult to anchor without losing the anchor. A spotlock would probably work.

With wind just right and carefull attention you can slowly troll along the rocks. I do not have have spotlock so need to monitor boat position and use foot pedal. Also have walleye boats doing same thing but trolling faster. If they are catching move to another spot. Flatheads love a tasty walleye.

· Registered
333 Posts
Float’s definitely work for flatheads.
How to do it - watch/ask someone better than me! Haha
I would recommend watching muddy river fishing and river certified on YouTube Spencer aka river certified would probably be more the like terrain you are fishing spencer catches a few flatheads on floats but a lot more channel cats where muddy river (Chris) catches more flatheads but they fish completely different rivers/terrain
Personally I learn visually and seeing something really helps me learn/understand
I do think flatheads are similar to crappie and are upward feeders. Their eyes are on top of their head their jaw is designed to come from underneath and shallow prey and a lot of people say they catch more flatheads on a santee cooper rig over a Carolina rig (slightly off the bottom. pertaining to cut bait) I’m not a expert at all it’s just things I’ve noticed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts