Using eels for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by spcmitchell28, Apr 17, 2008.

1. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    Has anyone ever used eels for bait? I went out with a guide in the James and he got me hooked on using them. You just cut them up in 4-5 inch segments and hook them through the end. They are the toughest bait I have ever used. I have yet to lose single piece yet to a fish.The craziest part is a couple hours after you have cut the eel up each segment will keep squirming. If you guys deceide to try it I would invest in a turkey baster. If your bait starts getting old you can put some of your favorite scent into the baster such as garlic, or blood and inject it into the piece. You can also catch them yourself with some worms or any other bait you would use for catfish. I hope this helps.

2. monstercat420

monstercat420 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I've also used eels on the james and chickahomany. The fish love them. You should try just cutting the head off and using the rest.(bigguns!)

3. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    i mainly fish the chick and they work great. I have actually had more luck using the head then i have using the tails:crazy:

4. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I might try that. I have used them whole before, but got aggitated because they were being harassed by smaller cats:confused2:

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thank you for the info I havent ever tryed a eel for fish bait where do you catch them out, and im glad to hear you done good without loosing any of your bait to a fish, I wish ya luck on the rest of the trips that you take.

6. monstercat420

monstercat420 New Member

State:
    illinois
    On the chick eels are the secret wepon if cut bait dont work put an eel on. When I went out there we tried a bunch of cuts nothing asked around they said try eels put em on caught tons biggest was a 52lber.(I cut just the head off and tossed em out)(If little ones are harassing the bait move it just a little bit from that spot. whole eels will pay off)

7. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    where at in missouri can you catch eels and how do you catch them?

8. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    I am stationed in Virginia right now, I dont think you can catch eels in Mo. :embarassed: