"Using Circle Hooks with a Spinning Reel"?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by shania, Feb 1, 2009.

1. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Good Morning Gang & welcome to another episode of:
    "Teaching Bert (Shania) How It's Done #101"
    &
    Today Topic is:
    "Using Circle Hooks with a Spinning Reel"
    (LoL:happy:)

(Just Kidding) :0a16:

But I'm going to give Circle Hooks a fair shot this up & coming fishing season, but I use a Spinning Reel with a Bait-runner on it & I would like to know how many Circle Hooks users out there use use them with a Spinning Reel and what are you thoughts on it, or do it even makes any difference if your using a Spinning or Bait casting Outfit.
    :confused2:

The Reason That I ask so many questions is:
    "Why Not":confused2:
    I look at it as going to the best fishing university in the world (B.O.C. U) :wink:
    & at that school I have the best fishing teachers that you can have ("You")
    + Like I always say:
    "Your Never to old to learn, Just Dumb If you think that you are".
    :0a14:

So You Guys Take It Easy & Have A Bless Day,
    Bert:cool2: (Shania:0010:)

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Bert,
    It makes no difference whatsoever. Circle hooks will work with any type of reel or even a canepole with no reel...W

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I would not think it would matter if you was using a casting , spinning , spincast , or even a cane pole lol . As far as asking alot of questions this is the place to do it . These guys know alot and I believe everyone on here has learned something . Live and learn .

4. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    With circle hooks it's not the delivery, it's the retrieve. With that baitrunner, leave the baitrunner drag on. When line starts going out, turn the handle once, just enogh to engage the regular drag, and then slowly turn the handle. Fish on!!! :wink:

5. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    That's what I use Bert just like they said set the baitrunner and when a fish takes it and just start reeling it in:wink:

6. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Circle hooks are great, the fish always bite when I'm not payin attention. Or else they spit the hook out. With a circle hook, I don't need to pay close attention to the pole. I Either tightline or leave a little slack, sometimes I leave the bail open till they start drawin line and then I close the bail and they hook themselves. Either way I'm getting a better hook rate, and no gut hooked fish, so I can release em if I don't want em. I hope ya have good results with em.

7. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    bert
    i use that same reel with braid. take a slip rig with a circle hook pinch a splitshot on about a foot from the sinker now when you bait up and cast out engage that freespool and this is how a take will go the tip will go down softly then all of a sudden it will go down hard and stay down then its fish on!

8. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I know this is going against the grain. If there is an advantage to circle hooks, it is it makes releasing fish easier. Simply turning down the barb makes removing hooks easy. On a deeply hooked fish you can always leave the hook. It is impossible that your hook rate would increase with circle hooks. They are designed to slip through a fishes mouth without snagging!

9. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I only use spinning reels with clickers on them myself. Circle hooks work like a dream. As far as the clicker goes, you can turn it off, use it until you get a bite then turn it off, or you could do like I do and crank the clicker down fairly tight, so it hooks the fish, and also goes off. Wichever you choose, goodluck this season.

10. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I used a teamcatfish hook,seems identical to the demon circle,to catch a 45 lb blue on a quantam great white spinner on new years day.basically the fish hooked itself and it took alot of pulling to get the hook out of the corner of its mouth.This is not a commercial,but i am sold on these hooks,gonna try the demon circle hooks because they are cheaper.

11. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Bert,
    I like Winstons answer and thats my way of fishing

12. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I'm going to agree with Travis. I keep the tension on the clicker pretty tight, that way I can hear them and they'll hook themselves at the same time. I do that with spinning and baitcasters.

13. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    95% of the cats in my album were caught on spinning gear/circles . I set my drag like normal ( fairly tight ) , cast out and leave the line tight or close to it. When a cat takes it, it will bounce a few times , then the rod will bend over hard and start taking out drag . If he is pulling drag, he is hooked,,,done deal, you don't set the hook, the fish does it for you. I never grab the rod unless it's bent slap over, period ( unless its tiny fish ). Reel him in with steady tension but don't reel in to fast. To unhook him just use needle nose pliers , its simple .

Everyone's way here is fine. It all comes down to letting the rod load correctly to let the hook work proper. Its basically the only way I fish, and I cant remember the last fish I lost...no lie.

Oh and always snell them circles. G'luck, I hope you have great success with them, I have.

-Jim-

14. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I use Spinning reels exclusively with circle hooks 90% of the time and have no problems getting fish when they are biting.

15. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jerry,
    Sorry buddy but that is not the case. They are designed to pass up the gullet without snagging and rotate around the edge of the mouth.
    The majority of guys who learn to use circles correctly report increased hook up rates...W

16. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I used my first circle hook over 40 years ago, and continue to use them today. My advice would be to use a rod that does not have a fast tip, a fairly limber overall action, and be patient with them. They were originally used by ocean fisherman and "trot line" type fishing. There advantage there, is that the fish once hooked, have a problem throwing the hook even if the line gets slack. Also the fish are usually hooked in the mouth so mortality is lower, this is important if you can't check you line in a timely manner. When fishing bait with inexperienced anglers they can save the day, because these people don't really understand when or how to set the hook or land a fish properly. Once hooked with a circle you will not loose many fish. They are also good if you are watching more than one rod that are several yards apart, or when you fall asleep at the wheel. You don't have to set the hook. Compared to an offset kahle of the same size,if you are closly watching your pole, you're hook rate will decrease, there is no question. If somebody put a loaded gun to my head and told me they would kill me if I missed the next strike, I would use a treble hook without a doubt. If I had no treble hook I would use a large kahle or octopus with an offset point. Admittedly, this makes C&R harder, but it is the most efficient manner to hook fish. I commonly use circles, but on rod and reel they are not the most efficient way to hook fish, but you probably will not notice a sever drop in your hook rate.

17. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I use circles on my spinning outfits and have no problem getting hookups. You just need to let the fish load up on the rod. When I first started using them I was making the common mistake by trying to set the hook, missed alot of fish that way...

18. TrophyHunt

TrophyHunt New Member

State:
    Georgia
    This is the best answer for you right here.

19. FishinGuy

FishinGuy New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh)
    good answer jerry, circle hooks are now required in florida reefs for the safety of the fish, they hook in the mouth, not the throat, i release all my cats, so this is important to me. ive been using them for years with good success its just hard to resist that instinctive hook set. i just bought a cabelas salt striker bait runner spinning reel and plan to use a 7ft ugly stick i run braided line and circle hooks only for cats.

20. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I did the same thing a few times until I got used to the circle hooks I'll probably end up doing it a few more times until I break that old habit of yankin back on the rod:confused2: