using chum in the winter?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by R. D. Hilton, Feb 18, 2008.

1. R. D. Hilton

R. D. Hilton Active Member

State:
    tx
    Can you use chum/sour grain in the winter does it work? How should you use it? Thanks

2. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    This was my 1st year in the winter cold and i honestly dont think it works in the cold as good. I tried it around a doz time with no luck.
    What I did notice was i caught more fish with stink bait than anything else

3. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Range cubes with the most protein so it sinks...is what i used last summer alot better than the funky milo

4. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Chumming does work in the winter with both soured grain and range cubes. It is best if you can locate fish before you start chumming. It usually won't attract them from greater distances as it will in the summer and fall, but it does work. It also helps to keep baiting the same spots each time. You may need to try a little bit deeper. 30 to 35 foot has been a good depth on Lewisville so far this winter for chumming up channel cats. We are catching fish in shallower water, but we're not chumming in these locations. Start out by chumming 4 spots, then go back and start fishing the first spot for 20 minutes. Move to the next spot, put out a little more grain and fish it. You'll find that some spots produce more fish than others under different conditions. Do this each time you go to the lake and keep baiting out the spots that consistantly produce fish. You'll have a bunch of honey holes in no time. The key is that if you can locate and catch fish from a spot without chumming, the chum will just make that spot more productive by getting the fish active and into a feeding frenzy.

5. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    yes, you can chum in the winter. I had been fishing for years without being real successful, I joined the BOC a little over a year ago and started hearing about chumming but never tried it. My wife bought my son and I a fishing trip in January and the guide told me how to make chum (Thanks Cliff) Well we first tried it on Feb 13th and caught 10 cats about 75-100 yards from shore against a reed bed, all were from 1#-3#ers, we went back to Lake Calaveras last Sunday and only caught 3 from 1 1/2#-4 1/2#ers at a new spot further back into the lake. We couldn't go to the first place we went 'cause someone was there but I think we did pretty good. Gotta get a fish finder though, the folks here are right in that you have to find the fish first then chum to get them in and stay in while you're there. Started a new batch of chum yesterday, takes at least a couple of weeks to be ready. Haven't tried the range cubes yet and heard of some stuff called 'all-stock' you just spread right out of the bag (sounds sticky)

Rubes

6. mmuckleroy

mmuckleroy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I chum in the winter on livingston. I make my chum bags (grain in old panny hose) And chum 3-4 places. Have pretty good luck.:roll_eyes:

7. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    mmuckleroy: do you just toss these bags (stockings) in to the water tied up or do you dump it into the water. Also how have are these bags your referring to? I just take a good 2 cups worth and tossit in the water.What am I doing wrong.