Using Cast Nets

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Bigbaldcountryboy, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Bigbaldcountryboy

Bigbaldcountryboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've seen alot of talk on here about buying shad from the store in packages. These guy's are laughing all the way to the bank! Do yourself a favor and get a cast net and start catching your own bait. Start out with a 4 foot net in 3/8" mesh size which run around 20-25 bucks.( I use a 4 footer ) Practice in your back yard when no one is around until you get good at it. If I had to buy all the bait I use I'd probably stop fishing. Finding shad is easy because tons of them hang out near the bank. If theres shad in your lake, try sandy bottom area's first. You don't have to "see" the shad either just start trowing,you'll evenually find them.You'll be surprized at all the things you catch,but thats another story.Check your local games laws on bait taking. Always remember only take what you need and return the rest!! :wink:

2. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    agreed cast nets are a much easier and much sheaper way to get bait, ive caught almost every kind of fish in this area with a cast net, great tool to know how to use

3. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yep this is true just think of what boc members alone spend on bait and things to make bait. well some of us are feeding some guy real well:smile2::smile2:

4. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yea people buying a net is great and easy to use im 15 years old and i can throw a 8ft net i know a man who makes his own he has a twenty foot one and he uses it:wink::roll_eyes:

5. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was told it is illegal to catch a game fish in a cast net and use it for bait. And in NC shad are listed in the game fish category. I would love to try this but will not if it isnt legal. Can anyone please tell me I am wrong, Please?

6. Bigbaldcountryboy

State:
    North Carolina
    You can catch gizzard shad and threadfin shad with a cast net in North Carolina. American shad and hickory shad are classified as game fish in NC., which are a much bigger shad species although I bet they'd make great bait too..:smile2:

7. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    ive fished in NC i dont think shad is a game fish there if so go to the southcaroilna side of lake wylie and catch your shad there hope this helps i will talk to the game warden i know he will tell me will reply later tomarrow good fishing and god bless

8. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    That's what I'll do then, I think I'll just run up to ole wally world right now and get me I nice new cast net and start practicing

9. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Throw nets are great and save $$$ on bait. The ones from Wally World are OK but Bass Pro sells nets that are easier to use. It takes some practice but will pay for itself in no time. While you are looking for shad you can throw a small rock directly into the water. Most of the time if they are there, one or two will break the surface. This way you will know if you are in the right area before wearing yourself out by throwing them 20 times before moving on. Also try the wing dams for multiple shad.

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Check your fishing regulations before you buy a castnet too. They aren't legal in some states and other states have regulations on the size of nets that can be used.

11. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    right on! i havent paid for bait all season. and when you rip your net.(trust me you will) you can fix it with some 20 lb mono. No catfisherman is a catfisherman with out a cast net at his side. also some advice would be to find areas with any kind of current like under bridges and there will surely be shad. after all the cured liver and garlic shrimp people are using i still say there is no better bait than a livecut shad head.

12. Bigbaldcountryboy

State:
    North Carolina
    I haven't caught a catfish in 2 weeks on a cut shad or shad heads, everything I'm catching right now is coming from cut bluegills and crappies both of which have to be caught with a fishin pole. I filet the one side and put the hook though the opposite eye of the fish then bring up the end of the filet and put it on the hook. Sometimes scaling them seems to work better then with the scales on,go figure.

13. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You can catch gizzard shad and threadfin shad

Can anyone supply me with pics of these please. I kknow where I can catch some, but I need to make sure they are legal. I can find the others in NC wildlife website but not gizzzards or threadfins.

14. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Cool thanks, they look like what Ive been catching.

15. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yea when I first come up to the fishin hole I throw my net out to see what is out there. If I catch a game fish, Ill stay and try to catch em with my bream pole, If not I move on to the next spot. Keeps me from sitting there in a spot with no fish.:wink:

16. bornfooilsh

bornfooilsh New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I agree cast nets make bait much cheaper....I just wish they came in automatic:eek:oooh:

17. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I have a cheap wally world 4' net. I practiced in my yard for several days before I tried it at the lake. Had trouble with it opening up when I started using it. Then one day it just seams like I got the hang of it. I really can't think of anything I started doing different, just one day all the sudden I could do it. Now I can throw it without even thinking about it. Practice practice practice and you will get the hang of it. I had a few favorite spots I cast for shad and it was hit and miss if I found them. Then last weekend, everyone one was here for the classic at Milford. I meet Johnny from the BOC (777) at the ramp I usually put in at. He said he did good at the docks. While I was talking to him several of the tournament guys stopped at the ramp and threw for shad. Sunday I threw my net off the courtesy dock where I put in. Two throws I had about 100 shad. It usually takes me an hour of throwing to get that many in the places I was going. I learned always throw off a dock if there is one close. They were much more concentrated there than anywhere else I was trying.

18. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    The neighbors are still laughin' about me trying to learn the fly rod in the yard. If they see me throwing a net, they might call the guys in the white coats!

19. Bigbaldcountryboy

State:
    North Carolina
    Heres what the results can be if you practice using a cast net!

Attached Files: