Using carp for cutbait

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cathunter26, Jul 23, 2007.

1. cathunter26

cathunter26 New Member

State:
    columbia, mo
    Hey whats up everyone, i am pretty new to the catfishing world and i was wondering if anyone could explain to me how to cut up a carp to use it for cutbait?

2. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I just take the fillets off just like cleaning a fish to eat leave the skin on and cut into chunks. Depending on the size the scales can be a little hard to deal with but the skin is tough enough that the cut bait will stay on until something eats it off. On carp I usually make a 1 1/2" square by 1/2" thick.

3. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm fairly new to catfishing with rod and reels too. I've used trot lines and limb lines most of my life. I usually fish for Bass and Crappie but want to get into catfishing. In addition to cathunters question could some on tell me what the best size hook would be and what type of line to use. I have a couple of good baitcasters I use for Bass fishing. Would they work for catfish?
    Thanks

4. cathunter26

cathunter26 New Member

State:
    columbia, mo
    that sounds easy enough hey thanks a lot bigun i appreciate it

5. cathunter26

cathunter26 New Member

State:
    columbia, mo
    i am no expert but i use 60lb braided spiderwire and hook size really depends on what you are fishing with and what size of fish you are after, as for the baitcasters my biggest fish was 26lbs and it was a fight in the current so it would be pretty hard on it but for smaller cats i would say you would be fine

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    If you're working with one of those damned asian carp, be sure to stay out of the gut cavity. It's very green and very unpleasant in there.

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    On the carp, a lot of guys cut them like Bigun says - make a good size "strip" out of them so it kind of waves around in the current. A tip I learned from Crazy is to cut the tail first, bleed them into a bucket or whatever your putting them in, and then throw the chunks in the blood to marinate. Yummy:eek:oooh: T's right, if you get into the guts it's like the puke scene out of the Exorcist....

As for hook and line size, I use Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus circles tied to 65# PowerPro braided. All depends on how you fish and your personal preference on the line. I like the braided because I can pack more on my Abu-Garcia 6600 reels and I like the way it casts and has no memory. I like circles because I've had good luck with them setting themselves and rarely do I lose a fish once they're hooked. Like the line, some guys love them, others hate them. Good Luck!

Branden