Using bobbers in river

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by hunterhnc20, Jun 17, 2008.

1. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    I fish for flatheads in the river from a boat. I always fish on the bottom but was wondering if anyone ever used a bobber to fish for flatheads in a river. The river I fish usually flows around 2 to 5 mph I would guess. I would think using a bobber you could cover a lot more area but I dont know if its possible to do or if its worth trying. Im thinking about trying it this weekend and fishing about 2 ft off the bottom. Any suggestion or comments?

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    There are definate advantages to using bobbers. Two feet off the bottom should help eliminate some of your snags, however it is giving the Flats a good deal of loose line to play with if they don't swim down.

I sometimes use slip bobbers as a drifting tool if I am anchored in. Your technique should work for you.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sure, we use ballons at times to drift a nothing looking streatch of river. they are great tools for inside bends that have eddies or many big rocks. also toss them back in creeks or oxbows and bays that feed the river, especialy when waters are high.

4. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    River Scum,

How do you attatch the ballons to your line?

Thanks for the help!
    Andy:wink:

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    bobbers can be good for river fishing.

6. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    several different ways andy ............... barrell swivel and stick the balloon thru one of the rings before u blow it up ........... snap swivel and stick the balloon into the snap and tie it around the snap after u blow it up ... u may have to take a pair of pliers and collapse the swivel ring so the bead will stop the balloon on the main line ( bobber stop bead )..........

7. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS

Attached Files:

• kb1.jpg
      kb1.jpg
      File size:
      26.6 KB
      Views:
  8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have had success using bobbers for channels.. But i have never caught any flatties... im curious as to who has caught some good size flatties this way... It seems to make alot of since. But I do agree that it would be alot of loose line.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    we just tie them on the line with a few overhand knotts bro. with them like that you can adjust them by sliding back n forth.

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

thats what we catch up here is flaties, shane. they love them fished just under the surface stugeling along a bank at night. its like a limb line thats mobile!

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well Im going to have to try it... A mobile limb line... I like it!!! Thanks

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    This is the exact same subject I've been pondering today. I read in a catfishing book that it is a misconception about catching catfish only on the bottom. The article on Flathead fishing stated that if your fishing a river from the bank a good way to catch them is by using a bobber (baseball size) tied 2 feet above an 8/0 khale hook and to cast upstream and let the rig drift down stream and to repeat over and over at varrying distances from the bank. I'm pretty new to river catfishing and with water levels super high lately I've been getting skunked fishing on the bottom so I'm considering trying this. Has anyone out there heard of this and if so had any success? Please share ! thanks in advance. :big_smile:

13. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Here are a few details that I left out from the Flathead catfishing article that I mentioned on the above post.

It said this technique is good in when river waters are high. And it also stated that live bait is not nessesary. The article said to try a ball of shad guts, crawfish or a ball of nightcrawlers and to try to keep a fairy tightline while your bait drifts.

:0a26::0a26:

14. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    After the first couple of casts trying the method I read about and mentioned before I realized it was useless and ridiculous. I won't be trying that again but hey at least I have 3 bobbers the size of oranges that I'll never use again. Gotta look on the brite side. :roll_eyes:

15. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    talk to uttatoo (gus) he will tell you an easy way to fish off of the bottom with a bobber.

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

patrick, dont give up you were probably just in a bad spot and on shore. i only fish them from shore if im on a inside bend with an eddie or up in creek mouths. toss one out directly behind a big log jamb,in the eddie, next time you go.

17. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Tell us more! What exactly went wrong ? I am pretty curious.

18. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Well first thing I was using a bobber I had on very little weight. Well in hopes of catching a giant mississippi river catfish I also have on 100lb/20dia. braided line. With little weight on there the distance of my casts was very limited. Secondly the current in the river is pretty fast. So I would cast upstream and it seemed to only go out maybe 20-30 ft. at the most. Well compared to the big river this is like a grain of sand. Anyway I would let it drift and in 10 seconds it would be at a point to start reeling in because it was downstream and getting close to the bank. So I'd reel in and the bobber was jumping all over the place violently in the water from reeling it against the current. The goldfish I was using had died after the first 2 cast from getting pounded so hard. So after trying this several times I decided to just let the bobber float into an eddy where there was lots of small pieces of drift wood. I let it sit there about 30 minutes or so and then decided to reel in and check my bait. Come to find out there was several pounds of sticks that had become tangled into a giant knot in between the bobber and the bait which was about 2 or 3 feet.

It just seemed pretty pointless, perhaps you would've had to been there to see what I mean.

19. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    No, I can imagine that pretty well.... I suppose it is not for your river and perhaps not mine either. I still might try it sometime. I don't get as many sticks and things in my eddies... I tried this setup one night just for the hell of it with a beer can as a float. I worked pretty well in the eddy though I didn't catch anything.

20. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Its also a super fun way to fish. If you can find a nice big eddy with some depth and get a good drift to where it will circle without any help, about a foot or two off the bottom, you're in business.

Here is a 32lber that was caught with a bullhead under a bobber.

Check out Wild Wolf. Gene makes a great bobber!

Attached Files: