Using bluegills the other night.....

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Pigcat71, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Pigcat71

Pigcat71 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    (Hello to all, wonderful site very informative) Any my friend gets a hard hit, so he waits a few minites and then checks his bait. When he reels it in half of his whole bluegill is bit in half. Since the area we fish is known for muskys, we suspect it was one of them. Does anyone think a catfish could bite through a fish like that? I figured it would just take it and run. BTW their are only channels, walleye, and musky in our spot that could be capable of biting straight through a 4 in bluegill. Im guessing it prolly wasent a walleye...any thoughts?
    p.s. we did catch 4 nice cats in the 7-10lb range......

Bryan

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    From what I seen, Cats usually inhale it whole. Bass and Walleye would bite...

3. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Only way to find out is to go back there and try it again, and again, and again! LOL

Oh, and by the way.
    Welcome to the BOC.
    _

4. Sandy Meador

Sandy Meador New Member

State:
    VA
    I've caught plenty of LMB on bluegill - but I'm willing to bet it was a walleye. They'll cut your bait clean in two!

5. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Im pretty sure it wasnt the catfish maybe a turtle or the musky. I had a bass on a stringer one time about two pounds and a huge aligator snappin turtle come up and bit it in half.

6. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Bryan!! I would have to say either a large walleye or a musky.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Don't forget that if there are turles in that water they can do it too.

8. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Saturday when I was fishin I reeled in to check my bait and half the gill I had on there was gone. I could see where a turtle had been eatin it one bite at a time. Aint it weird how them gills turn sorta orange when they die? I dont know how to run turtles off without runnin everythang off.

9. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Most of the time I think catfish will take perch head first but I have had several that have had the scales scraped off I believe by a cat fish..several bites out of the perch is a good sign of a turtle..never had one cut in half but we dont have musky here.

10. johnpotter777

johnpotter777 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cats dont have the jaw strength to bite a perch in two i dont believe.

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I would think that for a cat do something like that it would have to get hold of the bait and thrash about (for lack of a better term) to tear it in half and you would have seen a lot more action on the rod tip in that case. It was most likely something with a good set of choppers.

12. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    By the way, welcome to the BOC !

13. Pigcat71

Pigcat71 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Guys,
    Thanks alot for the imput.....I have caught many of snapping turtles and what I have noticed is that they dont "hit" the bait like this thing did.....The area we fish is known for Muskys...it very well could have been a 6lb or larger walleye...only smallmouths (barely any largemouths 1 out of 100 bass, maybe) in the river so I doubt it was one of them..Im heading back there with 4 other guys tomm night with the same bait and try our luck again...hoping it was a musky (wishful thinking), lol..................

14. Mountaineer

Mountaineer New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I'd use a steel leader if you go back out and try it. I've hooked 2 in my lifetime and as soon as I set the hook and felt the fish on, it's teeth cut through my line like a knife through butter.

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Bryan, welcome to the BOC. From what you described, it fits the perfect characteristics of a Gar hitting the bait. That has happened to me several times using live bluegills.

16. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    They have way more strength than most fish!!!!!!!! But they don't have the teath so seal the deal.

It was a musky gar or turtle. I don't know anything about musky(cept they have sharp teeth:lol::lol::lol:) But I would think that would inhale it also!!

Josh

17. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    I fish with bluegill religously and never had one get bit in half like you described. It was definately something with teeth I.E. musky or pike

18. Pigcat71

Pigcat71 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    We dont have GAR this far north in the body of water I fish (in NE Pennsylvania), kind of wish we did...I heard they are a nasty fish......as for the steel leader, thats a good idea, maybe I will throw one on, It shouldent scare the cats away from the bait...

19. supermaxx30

supermaxx30 New Member

State:
    *Required*
    hi there fador? is that really tou in the avatar"?

20. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Sounds like a musky or turtle to me