Using Blue Gill as catfish bait question

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by whiskerchick, Sep 3, 2009.

1. whiskerchick

whiskerchick New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hi all

What is the trick to using blue gill as bait? I've been using Creek Chubs on one pole and blue gill heads on the other...no takers on the heads. I see some of you guys reeling in huge fish with this. Are you using the whole blue gill and not just the head? Some of the blue gill I have are 5" or so long, I figured using the whole fish was too much. Tell me!
    Thanks Linda

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I Use mostly live gills. About hand sized... don't worry a 2 lb flattie will choke itself on it before he passes it up. don't be afraid of big struggling baits, it only attracts a flatties attention:wink:
    It's cool to play around with smaller size and use just the head.... but bigger gills focauses more on the flatheads and helps to fend off channels and turtles.

3. whiskerchick

whiskerchick New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Dr. Pepper! Do you hook them on behind the eyes?

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    On live gills the best way for me to hook them is

with no or little current areas I like to hook them close to the tail so they can wiggle and put off lots of vibration .

with areas of current I like to hook then in the eyes or nostrils so they will pull straight in the current ,, Ive found if you tail hook them in much current the current will pull them backwards and kill them in a few minutes .

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That depends. I only use J hooks, Usually I hook 'em just in front of the dorsal... sometimes just behind it. Front for the swifter current spots and behimd for Calmer. Sometimes I get a hair and hook 'em in the nose holes.

Hey... don't forget to make sure you don't have a scale stuck on the tip of the hook after you hook 'em....

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL Almost Identical info posted nearly at the same time....

7. whiskerchick

whiskerchick New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the tips guys...now maybe I can get a true hawg for my photo LOL. I had been hooking the heads on right behind the eyes and curling the creek chubs on the hook. Good point about the direction of the current killing the fish and the fish scale on the tip of the hook. I need to get some fresh blue gills, mine are frozen...well so are the chubs but that doesn't seem to bother the fish.

I'm planning on going out this weekend so I will hopefully have a new avatar! I had high hopes this past weekend but all I got were little bites the fish just weren't taking off with it. Weird.

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Try fish the head with your hook going right through th eyes....
    And that scale on the hook tip tip.... is a good un... 9 time outta 10 you WILL have a scale on that tip after hooking the bait, and you WILL miss a hookset if you do.

Good luck to ya!

9. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Said dont be afraid to use BIG BAIT. I have caught 12" channels an a 6" chunk of bait.

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ive been useing live gills with a kat bobber and catching huge channels like the one in my avatar. Im fishing for flatheads but when a channel hits ill sure take it.

11. whiskerchick

whiskerchick New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This weekend I will give it a try, putting the whole blue gill on. Brent, I've always had more luck and caught my biggest cats right on the bottom. I'll have to stick a float (don't have Kat bobbers, but just the 13" wooden sip floats) on that line too.

Thanks everyone for your help, good luck this weekend if you are going fishing, and be waiting for my new avatar LOL.
    Linda

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good luck on your trips this weekend Linda! couple things i will add are
    - make sure you use hooks big enough for those live gills
    - use both live and fresh cut,the fish will let you know what they want that night/day
    -dont be afraid to fish within 10ft of the bank at night

hope to see a hog in your avitar come teusday morning!

13. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dont ever catch big fish!!!!:angry:

14. whiskerchick

whiskerchick New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Big Cat.... just by your avatar ummm....I don't think your supposed to wipe a bugger on the blue gill before you cast it out. :p Try it without the bugger this weekend...bet you get a big one like me! LOL

15. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hows this?

This is no bluegill.. ALL BOOGER!!!!:wink:

Attached Files:

16. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good luck this weekend. Take the info these guys gave you and put it to work. I am sure if you stick with it long enough you will catch a hawg too.

17. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I very seldom do.

18. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Much better!:wink:

19. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    The key to any bait is to expirement and let the fish tell you what they want. Sometimes you can load up on fish with just the heads or the whole bait. Sometimes live is better than dead, and sometimes cut is better than whole. That works with any type of fish being used as bait. The flathead in my avatar was a 40lb er caught on the ohio on a whole dead gill. The same night we caught several other fish and 1 15lb blue on cut gill. If you use 3 poles put different bait on each one to find which works best. If you are fishing with some friends then you can really mix the bait up for a bigger selection to see what works. Hope this helps and good luck.

20. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K

I'm with ya there bro., it's gettin down right frustrating.