USING BIG LINE

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jan 24, 2010.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    SO UNLESS YOU USE $250-$500 REELS THAT ALLOW YOU TO HAVE 20+ LB DRAG SLIP IM ASSUMING YOU LOCK YOUR DRAGS DOWN WHEN YOU HAVE ANYTHING OVER 80 LB LINE ON ?!?!?!?!

MY NEXT PURCHASE WILL BE ANOTHER 209 REEL (MY FRIEND GAVE ME HIS) (TRUE PAL) WITH SOME 100 LB BRAID...

WILL MY 209'S HANDLE LOCKING THEM DOWN AND FIGHTING A HUGE FLAT OUT OF THE SNAGS???
    (MAINLY IM ASKING WILL EVERYTHING STAY BUT, LIKE THE SPOOL WONT BEND...ECT...)

LeRoy

2. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Just because you're using heavy line is not a reason to completely lock a drag down. The only time that I'd do it is close-quarters "combat" fishing... basically, if the fish takes any decent amount of line at all, it'll get into structure and break you off.

Not allowing the fish to pull drag can also cause the hook to rip out of the fish's mouth, doing a lot of damage to the fish if it isn't a clean rip.

The key to getting a fish out of the cover is to get the head up and the fish heading towards you as soon as you set the hook. Once you get the fish up and coming, it's much easier to prevent it from getting into cover than pulling it out of cover.

Using heavy line with, say, a moderate to heavy drap pressure will give you a lot of control and ability to prevent snags and break offs while wearing the fish out quickly. You can always apply more pressure by thumbing the spool of the reel and/or putting thumb pressure on the line itself with the hand that's on the foregrip of your rod.

I think that you plan on putting the reel on a Ozark snagging for dragging flats out of heavy cover, right? You need to put some dacron or mono backing on the reel to absord some of the pressure of the heavy line on the spool itself. The backing will act as a cushion to the pressure of the heavy non-stretch braid. You're using a no stretch line with a rod that doesn't really flex at all, and you're going to put heavy pressure on it. I don't think that you'll be able to really lock down the reel to where it doesn't give line at all, it'll just take a LOT of pressure to do it.

There's always the possibility of bending a spool when you're using line that heavy, but I think that you'll be fine. With the backing and the actual amount of line that the reel will hold, the pressure will be more than bearble.

3. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I FILLED ABOUT HALF THE SPOOL WITH TWISTED NYLON..... THEN PUT SOME TAPE AROUND IT TO EVEN IT OUT.....

IM NOT 100% SURE I WANT TO USE BRAID..... IM REALLY LOVING YO-ZURI HYBRID LINE (40 LB) I CAN BOUNCE A 10 LB WEIGHT LIKE NOTHING.... 600 YDS FOR 17 DOLLARS IS PRETTY CHEAP TO...(IT LASTS WAY LONGER THAN MONO BEING IVE HAD IT FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS NOW) :arghh:

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    the drag will still slip like said just takes a lot of pressher

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    THE POINT OF THE POST WAS TO FIND OUT IF MY 209 WILL HANDLE MORE THEN 10 LBS OF PRESSURE..... THE "MAX DRAG AT STRIKE" SAYS 10 LBS FOR THE 209 AND 15 LBS FOR THE 309.... IM NOT REALLY LIKING THE SIZE OF THE 309 ANYMORE SO ILL STICK TO MY 209 NOW AND GET ONE MORE....

SO I WAS CURIOUS HOW MUCH PRESSURE THESE NEW PENN REELS CAN TAKE...... BEING THEY ARE MUCH MORE BEEFIER THEN THE ORIGIONAL 209'S I WAS LOOKING INTO HOW MUCH STRAIN THEY COULD TAKE....

LeRoy

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I keep my drags turned about 75% of their max.When I,m setting the hook and dragging them awat from cover,I just apply the extra pressure with my thumb.I use #80 and #100 braid,I,ve never had a problem with distorting a spool.When they quote the max drag for a reel,that,s just the maximum it can be set to.Them Penns are pretty sturdy,I don,t know how much it would take to distort a spool,but it,s probaly more than you or me could ever put on it.

7. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm with Pat, I normally only set my Drag at 50% strength for 95% of my fishing, I like to wear the fish down with the drag, my thumb and the Rod. If I'm fishing heavy cover I go up to 75% and just use my thumb for added pressure.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 25-lb test mono for my main line and leader, sometimes I up it to 30-lbs...I have my abuse set on about 75 percent of the drag on hookset, then I losen it up for the fight.

Never had any problem with catching big flatheads up to 55-lbs, and I think I can handle much bigger with my set-ups.

But, I know pat fishes close quaters alot, and in alot of heavy snags, under those conditions I would fish differently.

the holes I fish, dont have alot of snags, and take a cast of 90-100 yds to reach...With that much line in the water, the stretch of the line absorbs alot of the fight from my fish, allowing me to use lighter line to catch big fish.

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I agree with ya on that Jack.I don,t think there,s a fish in the river here that couldn,t be brought in on #25-30 line.Especially if you got enough line capacity on your reel.Like you said,I just like the heavy stuff for where I can,t afford to give up 1 or 2 foot in the very beginning.I just can,t seem to find any holes that don,t look like a junkyard undeneath.LOL

10. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Leroy, you will be fine with 50-60% on that reel. I fish nasty snags with 309's alot of the time and with around 50% drag, just use your thumb to turn the head if you need more pressure.

I won't tighten the drag until a big fish is safely away from cover and I start playing the fish.. "the pump" if you will. Just tighten it if he is slipping your drag and he is away from cover, other than that your thumb is plenty with that reel tightened to 50%.

I try to stay away from the super details of whats "the right" drag pressure for the line because every situation can be different. Keep it simple, it's better to be safe than sorry. I would rather lose a fish in heavy cover than to rip a hook out the mouth before it's nessisary.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  11. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I agree with Pat, ack and steve. I never even tried to figure out the poundage thing. Its too technical for me. I know what I like and what works for me, so I just tighten it half way and work from there