Using balloons to drift to the spot you want

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by JBrooks, Sep 29, 2009.

1. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Has anyone done this?
    I've heard of two different methods:

1) Putting your line on the balloon with duct tape, and yanking up on the rod to break it from the balloon when you're at your desired spot. I don't really like this, as it's considered littering I'm sure.

2) Attaching your line to the balloon, and setting it directly in the current and letting your bait drift at 20 - 30ft (or whatever depth), until a fish takes the bait. This seems like a good way to present your bait, almost like drifting from a boat.

Back to method 1, I've heard stories of guys bringing their pellet guns and shooting the balloon out so they can throw the balloon away when they reel it back in. :smile2:

/ James

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Why not?

I have seen folks use "planer boards" for the same thing on the river.

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Why would this be better than using something like a Kat Bobber? I can see where it would work,just wondering why.:wink:

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I agree with Pat, i would just use a regular Floater, it would allow you to cast a lot more efficiently and also you dont have to fool with the balloon. i know most of us are full of hot air, but i hate blowing those things up.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    James I agree with the others that the Kat Bobber is your answer. The Kat Bobber will work for you. Give it a try.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I use a home made float for the very purpose. Yes it is a lot like drifting, but ya just don't have the boat. You can cover a lot of water this way.

7. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Its not used for suspended presentations with a bobber stop knot. Used primarily to move heavy bait rig(s) close into cover, then have the bait fall into a targeted zone.

Two ways primarily approached from, controlled decent and uncontrolled decent.

Cloth tape over a pin hole once water logged allows air to escape for a slow descent.

Just another twist on balloon rigs and swinging large baits primarily for flathead catfishermen.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thats a cool little twist on the balloon rig.

i know you see a lot of balloon type rigs when salt water fishing, but for me thats where it ends. although drifting and loosing a balloon in some cover would be much cheaper than replacing even kens home made floats.

9. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    How does it work with multiple rods in the water? Say 2 using this method and the other 2 sitting on the bottom.

Can someone link me to this kat bobber? Never even heard of it.

10. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
  11. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    AH yes ballooning, that is a common practice here in downtown des moines because you simply can't cast to the spots off of the bridge. The kat bobber is a good idea but doesn't work the same as a balloon. With the balloon you're going to be on the bottom fishing instead of suspended. The best way to rig it is blow the balloon up and cut the nipple(thick rubber end) off of the ballon. The reason for this is it's twice as hard to pop the balloon off when you're ready for it to drop and as hard as it takes to pop it off 8 out of 10 times you'll jerk your bait off as well. Second tie a snap swivel up you line at the depth you think the bottom is, you want your weight to almost drag the bottom so you can feel when you drop off into a hole that's where you'll want to pop your balloon off or you get right in front of the cover that you can't cast to and pop it off. Sometimes you won't even get your balloon off and a fish will hit it while you're trying to float out to whatever hole or structure you're wanting to fish. Flathead steve showed me this when I first moved to iowa. you'll need a reel that can hold a lot of line so you can balloon out a ways and not worry about a fish spooling you.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    use helium and float on over ..make em jump for it...forget topwater...thats sooo 1999

13. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I actually witnessed this method of fishing while stationed in Hawaii, but instead of ballons they would use plastic garbage sacks. They would use 180 pound test and penn 9.0 reels off the piers of Pearl harbor. They would use squide to catch baby hammers and then use them for bait to catch the larger adult sharks. The bag was tied on with regular sewing thread, once inflated and set out they would yank the pole when it reached the desired location and the thread would break and bait would sink.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  14. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Hey that's cool to have all of the twists on using balloons. There is some stuff scattered through the archive. One I remember was tying one on with a lifesaver in the middle.

15. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Yeah Great Info, Also James if you become a STAR member and hurry and sign up you could win a great package from Wild Wolf Products Right Now !!!!!

16. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    How about a RC boat drop off, or is there to much current?

17. festus

festus New Member

I think it's a great idea with the balloon drifting, I'd probably take a 22 with me if it was safe enough. The only time I've used balloons was shiner fishing for bass.

18. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    gotta get me soem stars and kat bobbers

19. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

lol I thought about that too, but my fear was it would get out of range for the remote and just float away. I'm sure there's a way to do it. I'ma start lookin for a boat:smile2:

20. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Just rig up an extra rod tie heavy powder pro to the boat. That way run the boat out and be able to reel it back.:wink:
    Also on the balloons use a release clip. Even if its a clothes pin. That way when you jerk the release drops the line out.
    Also is type of fishing was what started Kat Bobbers. As here better when casting. Also don't have to be on bottom to catch that fish. Most are catching the bigger fish suspended above the bottom.:cool2:
    Pete

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009