Using Atlantic needlefish as bait?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Jazper, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Has anyone used it as bait? I was curious I got a few the other day and just discarded them on the bank, now that i think about it they might be used nice for bait.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Heck, I never even heard of them until today on the BOC. It's a good thing I found out before I mistakenly called them a gar and the whole torture thing started over. LMAO!

I try harder nowadays to know my baitfish or at least shut my mouth!:smile2:

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Man, That would be harsh, LOL!!! You would have to change you name again and everything, LMAO!!!

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Would he then have become Ol NeedleEye? LOL

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Why did you guys have to tell him.:confused2:
    I was hopeing after this week end he would discover a new breed of fish LOL.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Ya, We were gonna tell him that they were "Ky Creek Chubs", LOL!!!

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

And out goes a COLLECTIVE HAR-DE-HAR-HAR-HAR to all of you!:angry:

Oh STOP, MY SIDES ARE SPLITTING HERE!......NOT!!!:angry_2:

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    MY SIDES ARE SPLITTING

:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yes, I have used atlantic needlefish for bait. There is a lake here with a coastal river feed and they now inhabit the lake. They really stink and catch channels good, and are pretty decent for flatties too. I'd assume that blues would snatch them up as well, but haven't tried it out yet.

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Thanks Conrad! Stinking is always good. Do they 'stink' in a fishy way which would be good or a putrid, rotten smell, not so good maybe? Bloody or not? Is their skin near armor plated like gar or are they easy to slice up?

Sorry for so many questions.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Needlefish are soft skinned Darryl. Easy to cut up. They are often used to catch Sailfish, snook, tarpon and various other Salt Water Game Fish. They are somewhat similiar to Ballyhoo which is a very popular Saltwater Bait also. I've never seen any type of the needlefish up in our neck of the woods though. They are starting to show up in some of the Southeastern Coastal Lakes and down around Texas in Brackish and Freshwater tributaries. I dont doubt the kittys would eat them though. I'll try anthing once, but sure is hard to beat those River Skipjacks.

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well Conrad, That is good to know information. We seem to be getting over run by these toothy little creatures. Kinda like the asian carp. They're everwhere. Whats next? Great whites swimming in from the gulf ?

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Where are you guys starting to see them John?

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They are all over the cumberland river system and at the steamplants too.

15. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    I personally caught 6 or 7 two days ago at the steam plant. What I find interesting is they are a saltwater fish in freshwater. John your right, next will be great whites and whales. wouldn't that be fun.

Now the question is if anyone has the answer, do they freeze like skips since they are so soft?.....

Also, anyone got bit by them. I'm sure that wouldn't feel very nice. I know that the ones I got didn't last long underneith my steel toe boots. :)

16. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well Jeremy since you have a 'ready' supply we nominate you to do the freeze-thaw test. You might as well let a couple of them bite you while you're at it. Let us know the level of pain 1-10 and also if any infection results. You Da Man!!!:big_smile:

17. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Despite being soft enough to cut, they are actually quite tough baits, and cun into chunks kind of like eel, or smaller ones can be used whole. Their smell isnt' putrid like that, but reminds me of anchovies...in fact, very much like that strong smell anchovies have. You can just about smell then as soon as they leave the water, and you can tear them up using a sabiki rig. Should freeze/thaw fairly easily.

In the ocean they get big and the adults are referred to as "houndfish" and get over 4' long.

18. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Well I only know one place that has them so far. KY waters to my knowledge is not invaded yet. But, I tell you this the next time I get over there I will save some and try them out cat fishing.

As far as getting bit, I think I will have to pass if I can help it. But thanks for thinking of me.

19. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I caught some last Nov out of the TN River down below Wilson Dam as well. Haven't seen any here on the MS but I am betting they are here with as many as were in that creek on the TN.

20. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.