Using a rub

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Kutter, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Never tried using a rub before. What exactly do I need to do?
    Bear in mind, I need all the basics. Please, don't assume anything. I know nothing about it, so no advice is too trivial.

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Tom first what will you be using it on? Beef/pork rib's~chicken~turkey~steak~pork shoulder not all rub's work with certain meat some might be to strong or just throw the whole taste off ...Are you going for a dry rub or a paste?

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Dry rub, on beef, pork & chicken. If there is a difference, I need to know stuff like that. Thanks

Pork ribs
    beef brisket
    beef & pork steaks
    Chicken legs
    Chicken breasts

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Tom,For cuts that are gonna cook longer,like briskets,roasts,whole chicken,ribs. I like to rub a liberal amount on ,then wrap in plastic wrap. Place in the fridge over nite at the least. For smaller stuff,I either put the rub on ,let it sit at room temp for an hr ,or I ref. for a couple hrs .

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The rub is the most important element. Not so much what you use, just that you use it. That's where all the good spicy flavor comes from. I don't make my own, but if I did...I would probably use some paprika, some red pepper, some black pepper, some garlic salt, some sugar or brown sugar...maybe some cumin. That's about all I can think of...but that would do it.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Richard...I hope you don't mind me re-posting your recepie. Sounds pretty good to me.

7. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    i really like to use Pappy's dry seasoning, it is sold here on the west coast. very good on beef tri-tip

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I use Pappys too Ray. Love it on tri-tip:wink: Good on ribs too:wink:

9. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    down here in SO.IL. we have a. Had a manufacture the roof fell in last big snow/ice strom... SOUTHERN PRIDE they produce smokers and some darn good rubs ,.. I use thier premium blend on ever thing chicken-pork-duck-deer- don't do much beef its to $$$... darn good on catfish too..Thinking rubs what ever a feela wants to use should be put on large peaces of meat at least 12 to 24 hrs.prior to cooking., chicken-duck -turkey when deep frying make sure you use inside and outside ,I let set 1hr with rub then inject what ever fella likes ..thinking the rub put nice taste to ths skin (wifes) favorite part....small details i wash meat first then let drain good if to wet rub runs off. apply rub ,let set ,depending on SIZE of your meat. Ha .Ha.. cook to your liking..thats the way we do it here in the town of FREEMAN SPUR IL. hope this helps and if it don't......sorry! :cool2:

Attached Files:

10. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You didnt say what you were going to be using the rub on, but here is a link, I put up before. If it ever went OINK, then I use this on it.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84784&highlight=Boomer

It has a wet mop with it, you dont have to use it, I use the rub on brisket and chicken also, I smoke. My son uses this on his ribs that he grills also. There is just something about pork and apple that go good together.

11. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    For ribs, brisket and pork shoulders I use Woody's, turns out great every time.

12. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I really like that Pappys Hog Rub. The Pappys Prime Rib Rub is also really good. I make a few different kinds but a really easy all purpose one that I like is this. Not much different than what has been posted but this is how I do it.

Paprika
    Onion Powder
    Garlic Powder
    Powered Mustard Seed
    Ground Black Pepper
    Cumin
    Kosher Salt
    Ground Red Pepper
    Chili Powder

The paprika will pretty much be the base so I'll add a couple cups of it in a large bowl. Then I'll add about 3 tablespoons of everything else except the cumin and the mustard. Only a teaspoon or so of cumin. It can easily overpower the whole thing if you arent careful. About a teaspoon or so of the mustard. Those measurments are estimates. I usually just dump the ingredients in the bowl and taste as I go. If it needs more of this or that I'll add accordingly. Let your own taste be your guide. If you like it spicier, add some more red pepper. Those spices together make one heck of a rub for me and I use it on pork, beef and chicken. I make huge batches and keep it in jars or tupperware. It keeps really well in the freezer if it's sealed well but it doesnt usually last long enough to worry about going bad.

13. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    For pork BBQ and chicken I like to use salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and brown sugar. On the pork, usually a boston butt, I cut down into the meat and get the rub in there and all over the outside. I like to let it sit covered in the fridge overnight. Hope this helps!:big_smile:

14. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    My advice to you Kutter, is to invest in a BBQ book. I own a few myself and get ideas on different ribs and marinades. The sky is the limit and experimental BBQ is what it takes to get the right combination. Check out Amazon.com. they have a wide variety of books to check out or maybe check a local bookstore and thumb through it!!

I've tried many different rubs and marinades. Liked some and hated others. It's all personal preference!! Good luck on the BBQ!