Using a popper

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by isaiahedwards, May 8, 2007.

1. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    when you work a popper do you hold the rod tip up or down

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    ha actually i hold it off to the left side usually..... weird huh.. lol i feel the rod tip down dont give u a good opportunity to get a good hook set but i have had the tip up but i perfer off to the left.....

plenty of room for hook set..... and more line control imo

Jeff

3. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
  4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When you see em bite though dont set the hook let em take it and when you feel the pull set it. Ive lost many fish by setting to quickly and riping it out of their mouth.

5. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    i hate doing that setting the hook to soon

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like working the popper down and to the side. I like to use a candice pop. Example: Pop Pop Pause. Pop Pop Pop Pause. Pop Pause. Just mix it up and the fish will tell you which they prefer. Good luck.:smile2:

7. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    thanks everyone for your tips

8. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    He knows what he's talking about. I'm not an avid bass fisherman, but this works.

-Red

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I always set and jerk my lure to the left too.

10. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    This is kinda off-topic, but I just wanted to say I love how the action of poppers look. They make them bubbles right at the top of the water. I tell ya if I was a bass I'd be all over those things. :lol:

11. Danno93

Danno93 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I keep my rod tip low but off to the side. I like to throw it out and let it sit for several seconds before working it. Also, before I start "popping" it, I like to just twitch my rod tip and make the lure just shake on the top. It gives the look of a bug that has fallen out of a tree and is trying to fly off. If a bass is close, you can bet he has already come up underneath it as soon as it hit the water. The slightest movement will sometimes set of a strike. This is one of my favorite top water lures. Just remember to wait for the pull on the line to set the hook and not try to set it on sight.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Depends on how you want to work the popper. Holding the rod tip high will cause the popper to skip along the top more, making less of a 'blurbp' sound; holding it low will cause it to go deeper in the water; that's probably why most people favor holding the rod more or less level to compromise between the two extremes.
    About 50 years or so ago, we used a rig for white bass that I found worked very well on largemouth too. A large topwater popper with a 6" piece of piano wire attached to the rear of the plug, then a 4" piece of heavy mono, with a fly rod popper attached. White seemed to be the best color for the small popper. The rear treble hook could be removed or left on the plug...personal choice. The piano wire has to be longer than the mono so the mono can't flip back and let the small popper hang up with the big one.

13. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I had a 3 pound cat hit a grasshopper popper!!! I was throwing it up in some cattails for bass and the cat nailed it!!!!:big_smile:

14. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    OK I am with(DANNO93 ,FIELD989 ,AND MICKEY) on this one low and to the side .:wink:

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Like every one else has said, down and off to the side. I usually like to switch sides though and dont forget to pause from time to time. Alot of the strikes I get are when the lure isnt moving but the rattle is making noise. I also like poppers with a dressed rear treble. My favorites are ones a rear treble hook with white feathers that seem to flare.