Using a float for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by deepwater, Mar 4, 2006.

1. deepwater

deepwater New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Im new to BOC. I usually tight line for flaheads but was wondering how using a float would work. Maybe a slip float?

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I have had sucess using a slip float setup in lakes. They are not always just laying around on the bottom.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I catch most of my flatheads under a slip float.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if im lake fishing out of a boat i always use a float. i like using floats when boating in rivers too if the current is slack or slow enough. i honestly beleive they feed like crappie and are always looking up. look at their eyes on top of their head and the protruding lower jaw. the design of their head doesnt fit a bottom feeders profile, where a blue, channel, sucker, carp, or quilback does. if there is moderate to heavy current they keep close to the bottom looking for shad, suckers, quilback, etc. but if there is little to no current i beleive they go in search of gills, bass, crappie, etc that are hiding along the banks and overhanging brush. of course if its shallow enough, say 5ft or less, they are gonna smell or feel a strugling bait anyways, float or on bottom.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    In the summer when I fish the 2-3 feet shallows from the boat at night I use a lighted bobber. I throw some on the bottom, but I have caught as many fish on the bobbers as on the bottom. It is really cool seeing that little red light disappear underwater!!!

6. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Slip floats IMO are the best way to catch cats from the bank.I even like to do this when in a boat.The idea that cats always feed on the bottom just ain't true.I very rarely fish on the botton for anything except carp.Like it was mentioned earlier,it takes time to learn just the right way,but it is worth it.Plus you don't need to make so many sinkers and leaders.

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I love fishing for anything with a slip-float for three reasons. Most fish seem to be close to shore and most snags are on the bottom and watching that bobber as my bait trys to get away, as it is about to get swallowed and the bobber disapears! It really gets my heart pumping!

8. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    my biggest channel cat was caught below a slip float on 8# test line... talk about fun!

I haven't perfected the slip-float flathead technique using live baits yet. I was trying this some with bluegills, but even the smallest ones seem to get tangled in the wood. Slip floats are great if you wan't to really get your bait close to some cover like wood snags. I also like to get under overhanging limbs too.

And, you can always drift fish in light current with cut-bait letting the sinker bump the bottom for channel cats... this is a nice way to bank fish small rivers.

Shawn

9. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    I use slip bobbers mostly for flatheads. I set the bait about 2 feet under the bobber and float the bobber on the upstream side and around the edges of log jams and snags. Also float the bait along the edges of sandbars not more than 6 feet from the bank sometimes setting the bait only 1 foot under the bobber. I have had good sucess with this method.

Have tried many different style bobbers and found that the Kat Bobber by our sponser Maine Wolf to be superior for this kind of set.

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Deepwater, welcome to the B.O.C. We are happy to have you aboard! This is the best catfishing commuinty on the internet! In our zest to discuss our favorite sport, we forgot to welcome you! Rest assured, the B.O.C. has the best people to be found anywhere!

11. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I like to use the non-weighted slip floats for catfishing. That way I can tell if I am off of the bottom or not. Now if they just made rechargable chem-lights we'd be in business. :p

12. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    First of all, welcome deepwater. Glad to have you aboard.

On the lake, a slip bobber rig is all I use. Bank, boat, night, or day.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Often one of the most overlooked advantages of braided line is the direct connection to a float.Mono absorbs water and gradually sinks below the surface giving you that underwater pull when you go to set the hook.Braid doesnt absorb water and gives you instant hookset without pulling the float under.That works great in shallow stump filled water and keeps you from getting hung up so much.There is just something about watching a float that appeals to all of us probably because that is how we started out bakc as kids.:)

14. Creek_Chub

Creek_Chub New Member

State:
    Loveland, Ohio
    Gotta use a slip float on th lake or in your favorite back water. Just make sure you use a straw with it to help cut down on getting your line tangled up in your bait as hes swimmin around.

15. Mr Twister

Mr Twister New Member

State:
    Toronto, OH
    I love the idea of fishing under a slip bobber. But I have never quite figured out how to do it right. I put a nice gill on a float, throw it out by a snag and watch the gill swim into the snag, taking my bobber with it. Is there a way to fish with a bobber and still anchor the bait in a somewhat stationary place?

Another way to say what I want to do. I used to run limb lines with an old boy back home. He never wanted the gill more than 6" under water. The line held the bait in a semi-stationary place. How can I rod-and-reel fish simulating a limb line set up?

16. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i always use a floater i just like to fish that way.i like to cast up river and let the current bring it back maybe close to the bank or up close to a log jam.tight lining is fun i like to see your buddy not watching his rod and the next thing you know he is in the water trying to get it back..lol

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use a bobber all the time for catching cats. sometimes the cats be off the bottom.

18. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    my biggest flathead on a rod and reel came off a casting cork rig belowe keystone dam.set was about 4 ft. deep,with a live bait on a 10/0 khale . i like useing them belowe dams because you can cast them into eddy currents moveing toward or along the concrete structure.oh ya i also love it when after a good day cork fishin you finally get in bed and you can see your cork going under in your dreams. cork fishing , hunting morel mushrooms and digging gensing all have this affect on me. hey i might be a redneck.:rolleyes:

19. NCBASSIN

NCBASSIN New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mr Twister ,the way me and my son inlaw fish rod and reel to simulate Limb line isfind the area you want to fish with the limbs like you want take a clip kinda like a release clip or i have heard of people using clothes pinspull up to the limb and hook or tie the clip to the limb and put you rod and reel line out to the depth you want it hang the line in the release clip and back the boat back out into water away from limb and anchor . when fish hits bait the it will pull the line from release clip and you have them on rod and reel . Here it is illegal to use live bream from limb lines so this is pretty much the same but when the fish bites and the clip releases its caught legally . Just a way we do it ...... Danny

20. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Arlington check catfish connection under (floats/stops/and glow sticks) they have several to choose from. It's basically a string or piece of light wire that stops your bobber at a desired depth. They are small enough to pass up into your rod guides and fishing reel.
    The cat bobbers sold by Maine Wolf products work real well if useing large baits.