Using a castnet

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by catman73, Jul 1, 2007.

1. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    Ok so here is a silly question. I have a cast net that I have had for a long time. Bought it quite some time back but then never have used it. I have taken it out in the yard a few times and tried to throw it but have not had to much success getting it to open up. I took it and layed it out on the ground to make sure that it wasnt knotted shut or something and it wasnt. I guess I just dont know how to use it. I am wondering if it is to big of a net for a person that is short like me. I am 5'2" and when I hold the net by the center with the weighted part on the ground the center is about as high as I am tall. The way that I have been trying to do it is as follows.

Hold the center part in my right hand, about a foot and a half from the actual center.

Take the weighted line in my left hand and then move down some on the weighted end and take another hold of it in my right hand as well. Then use a sweeping motion to the left and throw it. It flies nice but dont open up much.

Any suggestions??

2. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

come by my place and i will just show in the drive way. i wouldnt even know how to type it out

4. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    Tom is right it's really hard to explain you have to watch someone do it a few times.

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

come by sometime i can teach you to throw any net in like 5 min. been doing it my whole life.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Darrin, I throw it pretty much the same way Matt's brother throws it, except the part of the skirt he holds with his mouth, I hold in my my right hand, then stretch the skirt with your left like he does, when you pitch it, try to impart a little spin, this helps to. Don't forget to loop the end of the retrieve line around your wrist, or you won't have a net to drag back:smile2:

7. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello Brother Fisherman,
    I had the same problem when I tried to used a five footer...It was just to big for me to throw...My suggestions is Wally World 3 1/2' or a 4' er will help ya and seems like I get enough of a circle out of my throws now than I ever did with that 5' er cause I could never get it to open all the way...

8. mapper

mapper New Member

State:
    overland park, kansas
  9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I started out with a 3.5ft net, after a lot of "yard" and water practice, I use a 7ft now, which will open to 14feet. If you fold it in half, as in the demo movie from Tea, it's almost like throwing a smaller net.