Using A Cast Net

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by IndyMedicGuy, May 29, 2008.

1. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I went and bought a cast net. I have never used one but am going to learn. Are there any tips or tricks to using them? Mine is a 5ft radius 3/8" mesh. Also I do not have a boat so are there ways to still catch shad from the bank or will my net sit idle until somehow I get a boat? Where are the best places to find shad. Are there any legal issues on how, where, and when on using a cast net? I am new to this so any info provided is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil

3. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the link I will start practicing I am sure it is much harder than it looks lol.

4. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Look for breaks in the current off of points, sometimes the shad will stack up on places like that. And boat ramps, I always seem to catch a lot of bait off of boat ramps when I am throwing from the bank

5. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    if you live buy any spillways try there. I have all my luck at the spillways!!

6. coondog east fork

coondog east fork New Member

State:
    IND
    I got about 800 to 1000 shad the other day at salt creek reservoir at monroe spillway with a net off the bank some of the shad was big I got 10 or 12 of them around 14 to 15 inchs long most was about 4 or 5 inchs hope this helps

7. shadgut

shadgut New Member

State:
    camby, indiana
    be sure to throw it where u know u will not get snagged up, i have already lost 3 nets this year. i always catch my bait with a net and seem 2 have luck in fast moven shallow current. look 4 grass suckers hang there and are good flatty bait. u will catch more fish if u can learn 2 get your bait from the river.

8. bigcatkev

bigcatkev New Member

State:
    indiana
    Hey Indy if you would like give me a yell and I could meet you down at the park i told you about and show you how to throw it no problem. I went there today and caught about 100 or so in about 10 minutes to get ready for tournament tomorrow. Later!

9. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You had mentioned legal issues with using a cast net. Castnets cannot be used to catch any sportfish, so bluegill, crappie, and such have to be released if caught in a cast net. That limits legal castnet catches to carp, chubs, minnows, shad, etc.

However you may use any wild fish caught legally as bait, cut or live. (ie, catch a bluegill on a pole and it is therefore legal to use as bait)

Good luck. Cast nets can be a bit troublesome to learn, but are well worth the time. I suggest you practice in the yard, makes learning much more enjoyable, plus getting hung up and ripping your net is pretty disconcerting when you are still trying to figure the process out.

10. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Another thing that has to do with the legality of your cast net. This is taken straight from the DNR's website:

• A cast net not to exceed nine feet in diameter nor having​
    mesh size larger than 3/8 inch bar mesh. (page 50)

You said yours had a 5 foot radius, so it is a foot too big. I don't think a CO would ever pull out a tape measure and check it for a foot, just thought you should know!

11. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hope he meant 5 foot in diameter...a 10 foot cast net would be pretty hard to start off on.

12. BIGcatjakeJR

BIGcatjakeJR New Member

State:
    ohio
    i just learned it to it's pretty easy this is how i do it a 360 twist

13. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    We will have to hook up here soon. I haven't tried the cast net yet because I will probably look like an idiot lol. Which part of the pond there do you normally catch your shad? I have caught a ton of bluegill from there! I have been twice now but no cats the second outing. I would love to spend some fishin time with someone who knows what they are doing and I trully appreciate the offer and will definately take you up on it!!!!

14. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana

Yes it is 5ft diameter my mistake. I couldn't imagine throwing a 10ft net lol

15. Motormaker

Motormaker New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It is not legal to cast net blue gill for bait? I just got a net . I havent had it out yet . I thought it was ok to use gills for cat bait.

16. MNeffle

MNeffle New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bluegill and other pan-fish can be used for bait. Only if they are caught legally with rod an reel or any other way that conforms to state laws and limits.

17. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Maybe. Regulations state:

"Cast nets are not an approved gear for catching game fish in any Indiana waters (312 IAC 9-7-2 and 9-7-16). Cast nets are only legal for taking bait fish, or minnows, in most waters. However, cast nets cannot be used within two hundred (200) yards below any dam on the Ohio River (312 IAC 9-7-16d). Cast nets in most waters cannot be larger than 10 feet in diameter and the mesh stretch is no larger than 3/4 inch. Cast nets used to take minnows from the Ohio River must not exceed nine (9) feet in diameter nor have mesh size larger than three-eighths (3/8) inch bar mesh (312 IAC 9-7-16e4). Minnows taken for bait must not be of any species considered endangered or threatened. Bag limits and size limits for sportfish must be followed regardless of the means of catching fish. Any fish that does not meet these restrictions must be released immediately."

BUT...after further reading (I consulted the actual Indiana Administrative Code)

312 IAC 9-6-1 Definitions pertaining to fish and fishing activities
    Authority: IC 14-10-2-4; IC 14-22-2-6
    Affected: IC 14-22-34-12
    states that the following are considered sport fish:

(77) "Sport fish" means any of the following:

(A) Largemouth bass.
    (B) Smallmouth bass.
    (C) Spotted bass.
    (D) Rock bass.
    (E) White crappie.
    (F) Black crappie.
    (G) Walleye.
    (H) Sauger.
    (I) Saugeye.
    (J) Striped bass.
    (K) White bass.
    (L) Hybrid striped bass.
    (M) Yellow bass.
    (N) Muskellunge.
    (O) Tiger muskellunge.
    (P) Northern pike.
    (Q) Chain pickerel.
    (R) Trout or salmon

HOWEVER...

IAC does not differentiate though between a "sport fish" and a "game fish" in fact I cannot find any definition of a "game fish" in the IAC. So I guess you would have a loophole to squirm your way out of a fine if you were to be questioned.

There has to be a difference because they do put size and bag limits on other fish, including catfish and some bream. So I wouldn't assume anything without being positive.

I am going cross-eyed for looking at all those rules, regulations, and red tape now. Did anyone know that the actual Fish &Wildlife code is 104 pages long? Makes you put a whole lot less faith in what you read in the annual "guide"

18. Motormaker

Motormaker New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The guide for 08 says a ten foot daimeter net is legal with the exception of the ohio river . I agree the guide is very vague. Also Is a minnow a species or just a fish to small to dicern breed?

19. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A fish in the family Cyprinidae I believe. Carp, chubs, minnows, shiners are all part of the classification.

20. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well I successfully used the cast net. It wasn't as hard as I thought. I am sure it will take a lot of practice to become proficient but I was able to catch me enough shad for fishing. Now if I could just catch the cats lol. Special thanks to neocats for the video link and to bigcatkev for the tips he gave me. Everyone here is great and I truly appreciate all the help and tips so far.