Using a cast net in Ohio for Gizzard shad- quick answers please!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by JBrooks, Oct 23, 2009.

1. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I've been doing research on a ton of the lakes we have here in Ohio.
    I plan on going to Miami Whitewater very soon (they're having a tournament), and Lake Isabella. Lake Isabella has a population of 30+% of Flathead according to their 2007 survey. Second place on Isabella is Gizzard shad, with 18%.

Can I use a cast net at Ohio state parks? My net is of legal size. I'd just hate to get chopped up once I rent a boat, go out there, and start chucking the net.

Taken directly from Ohio DNR's Website: FORAGE FISH means freshwater drum (in the Lake Erie fishing district only), carp, quillback, suckers, bowfin, gar, buffalo, gizzard shad, and goldfish. These species may be taken by any method except by means of explosives, poisons, firearms, electricity, chemicals, nets, seines, or traps, or by snagging within 1,000 feet downstream of a dam. Gizzard shad and smelt may be taken with a minnow seine, minnow dip net, or hand landing net.

How else are you supposed to get gizzard shad? And you mean to tell me we can't take them by net? We've been doing something illegal all along? :smile2:

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

EDIT: I kept reading...

CAST NETS- Forage fish may be taken with cast nets only in the Inland Fishing District. It is unlawful to use a cast net with a square mesh less than 1/4 inch or larger than 1 inch on a side, or with a diameter of greater than 10 feet. It is illegal to use a cast net within a distance of 1000 feet downstream from any dam posted with Division of Wildlife signs indicating cast net use is prohibited.

What does Inland Fishing District mean?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  2. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    Inland would be anything other than the Ohio River and Lake Erie...I am almost positive.

You can use your net as long as it is a 5 ft radius or less (10 ft diameter or less)

You can NOT use a cast net at any Hamilton County Park (Which would include Lake Isabella and Miami Whitewater)- unless they have changed that in the last year. I have not fished there in awhile but I used to fish at Lake Isabella every week for like 16 years.

Lake Isabella has a ton of channel cats in it and panfish. They have a decent amount of flatheads and blues...but they are definitley not the prodominent (sp?) species in the lake. Most of the fish are stocked for catch and take except for the flatties and blues and LM bass.

3. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    James I fish Whitewater a few times a year mostly after they stock the Trout I even fished a panfish tournament there once a few years ago we finished 4th outta only maybe 11 teams but we got blown away by the winning team who believe it or not was Meneffe's team (the guy who caught the monster flat bud).As far as your castnet question Im not encouraging you to do nothing illegal but atleast twice Ive seen guys come down in the free bank fishing area casting there nets and even beyond that area and nothing was ever said and that place is loaded with rangers and that was just what I saw.If I was out on a boat there I wouldnt give it a second thought.One other thing you might want to know about whitewater its one of the very few parks who will let you ice fish which I did there a couple years ago and we werent the only nuts who were out there.

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those are actually Hamilton Country parks. Miami-Whitewater is a nice little lake that they used to stock with blues that I don't think they stock with them anymore. There are a descent amount of nice size cats in that lake but it is pretty small. The lake is sitting on top of so much wood and trees that I doubt you would ever get a cast net back if you threw it in there. I have never seen anyone use a cast net at either of those lakes I kinda doubt it is legal. Isabella I really really don't like. I just hate that lake. It is super small you can see across the entire thing from any point at the lake. Isabella is just a paylake ran my the country that has no money to win. They sell a crapload of baits there but it is a paylake, stocked like one and you pay to fish there. Because of that is has a different set of rules than the rest of the Hamilton Country lakes. I think the lake outright sucks. They will have a day that they stock trout for example there will be so many people they are literally fishing shoulder to shoulder. The only thing I would go to Isablella for is maybe to fill up the freezer with some farm raised channels. That is one of the most over fished and most poorly taken care of lakes I have seen. I drove by there once in the Winter and they left all of the garbage cans on the side of the lake to get sucked in to the lake in the winter.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    He didn't get the state record? I figured Bud would be pushing over 70 pounds by now.

I planned on throwing from the boat, any idea if shad is easy to get there?

I've heard mixed things about the lakes now ... :confused2:

6. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    James if your throwing from a boat maybe niko"s advice is best but if you want to throw a net from the bank you can go to the left of the boat house in the bank fishing area and your castnet should not get hungup Ive seen it done a few times.Not saying youll get alot of bait but with enough effort you might get enough.I also would agree with niko on Isabella I hate that lake.It feels like Im fishing a huge gravel pit.The old guys who work the boat house in the morning are cool as hell even will cut ya a break on somethings but I just dont like the atmosphere of that lake.

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    James just call the parks dnr office and speak with one of the rangers and just ask them if you can use a cast net to catch some shad. if he says u cant then just bring some bait with you. if he says you can, then your in there

8. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Your so
    honorable

9. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Im checking out guys who needs ya.Im out.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

James, Inland Fishing District means all waters in or bordering Ohio Except, and I stress "EXCEPT" Lake ERIE and it's tributaries.
    That means it is legal to use a cast net anywhere else in the state, and the Ohio river. Doesn't matter if its a state park, city park, or back yard pool.

Now for the EXCEPT, The DNR has forbid the netting of fish by amatures in lake Erie and any river, stream, or creek that runs into it. This helps ensure that the spawning walleyes each spring can't be caught by every schmo with a cast net, lol. This helps keep alive the 8 or ten commercial guys left in Ohio with tons fish to sell.

11. skippi2use

skippi2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have thrown a net at miami whitewater down by the dam and didnt have any prob. only caught a few shad though.

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Better to be honorable then watch ur cast net get cut up to shreds and they hand you that nice little piece of paper worth about 10 castnets :confused2:

13. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Steve your exactly right.I appoligize to you and James even though what I told him was a honest oppinnion from what Ive seen from that lake.Still I was wrong in telling a younger brother to not worry about the guidelines.

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The waters of Lake Erie; the waters of Sandusky bay as far west as a continuation due south to the Sandusky county shore of the section line between sections 23 and 24 in Bay township, Ottawa county, and as far east as a continuation due north of the township line between Perkins and Huron townships, Erie county, indicated by markers which shall be permanently erected on each shore; and the waters of Maumee bay as far south as a line which shall be a continuation due eastward of the section line between sections 16 and 21 in Washington township, Lucas county, indicated by markers which shall be permanently erected on each shore, constitute the “Lake Erie fishing district All other waters over which the state has jurisdiction, whether lakes, rivers, creeks, or reservoirs or whether natural or artificial, including East Harbor, West Harbor, and Middle Harbor in Ottawa county, and the waters of Ten Mile creek lying within this state constitute the “inland fishing district
    :0a26:

15. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Not a problem brother.
    If I decide to use it or not is a risk I'll have to take on my own.
    Probably won't, seeing as I have several places to stock up on shad for free. :smile2:

16. catfishDK

catfishDK New Member

State:
    cincinnati OH
    You CANNOT use a cast net at hamilton co. parks Just takem wit ya