Using a bead with your sinker

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by howardstern, Jun 21, 2006.

1. howardstern

howardstern New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ok so I assume a lot of you use a bead and a sinker..
    so does your bead actually slip over your knot? mine hit the knot.. I have yet to seen a bead with a big enough hole to go over the knot. or is it just better to have the bead hit the knot vs the lead?

HS

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use these beads with huge holes that i get from wallmart in the craft section, very cheap as well. i think its good to keep your sinker from slamming into the knots when casting and setting the hook.

3. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Great idea dink, I think I will do the same for my beads from now on. Missed a cat last week due to my 4 oz sinker slamming into a knot, busted the knot and everything.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use a sliprig 100 percent of the time, and up to 8-oz's of weight..I have never used a bead, I check for damage from the sinker but I never find any.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like using beads because they look pretty.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I do the same thing Dink, I get the wooden ones. They have a big hole that slides right over the knot. Wally World and get a package of probably 50-70 for .99 cents.

7. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Same here but it may be a good idea to use a bead.

8. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I use beads most of the time, but think about this: The lead in the sinker is softer than the material in the bead. Most sinkers will slide over the knot as good as a bead will.

So, how about some of you scientist types doing a test to see if the bead helps or hurts. I think it actually harms the line more to use a bead.

9. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will tell you the best thing to use and that is fish aquarium hose for the aerator.The stuff is cheap to. You can buy a 10ft section and cut it into 3/8 or larger/smaller if you would like. It works way better than a bead not as pretty but way more effective.

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Seriously, I agree w/ Tim. I am using rubber hose too & I think thats the way to go.

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey mellon why dont you use some of those beads you got from showing off your man boobs at marti gra lol

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mellon has no idea what is the best way to go, he has not caught a fish in 4 years!

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I agree.I have used it in fresh and salt water fishing for at least 45 years.With and/or without beads as wanted or needed.It is also great for spacing multiple hooks on a leader.Ever reel in your live bait that you have hooked front and back for short strikers,to find it bent over and doubled up?This makes it spin like a wind mill and keeps your line twisted.You can slide a swivel with snap,a bead and a short piece of tubing on your leader before tying your hook on the end of it.Put a hook on your swivel snap and use a split shot to keep it from sliding when you cast or in current.You adjust the front hook to the size of your bait to keep it stretched out.With removable split shot,you can adjust it as your bait length changes.The tubing absorbs the shock on the split shot when casting.I like to use at least a inch for this reason.You don;t want enough to flex or you defeat your purpose. I also think it helps your bait stay alive longer,when you have it hooked front and back.peewee-williams

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I use the same Wal Mart beads from the craft section with the big holes and have never had a problem.Look at the holes in the sinkers and you will generally see rough edges that although soft are sharp and fray braided lines easily.Keep in mind braid will cut around any 90 Deg surface with surprising ease.The beads are soft ,smooth,& rounded :smile2: (Kind of like MELLON) and protect the knot which is very important when drift fishing.Suffice to say just about every guide I have ever fished with that drift fishes has that bead in place.

15. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    So Bryan, did you say you have a Rubber Fetish??? Thats sick man.. the visual is just plain..wrong!!!

Salmonid