useing shrimp as bait

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by butch fulk, Jun 18, 2008.

1. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    when you use shrimp as bait.Is it store bought like from wal mart or bought at a bait store . i am new to catfishing just woundering

2. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I have not used shrimp in a long long time but we used to use the ones from WalMart. No bait shops around here sell live shrimp. But a good rule of thumb is fresh bait is always better. So I would dare to say if you have access to fresh shrimp that is the way i would go.

3. wishbone1

wishbone1 New Member

State:
    michigan
    I know of people using your walmart type shrimp (shelled shrimp)
    they also let it get a little ripe in the sun
    not sure how well it stays on the hook

you could also use crayfish for bait, if you're able to catch them where you
    fish.

also use chicken liver, you can purchase at most stores it works well

look here
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=206

and here
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=212

or google shrimp for catfish bait

good luck!

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My understanding is to NOT use the pre-cooked or cooked shrimp. You want the old dirty brown looking shrimp instead of the nice pink looking stuff. LOL

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i use the tv shrimp. works good for me

6. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    When I use shrimp I just get what we call frozen bait shrimp at the local bait store. Works good for those eating size channels. Usually 5 pounds and under.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    For added effect to the shrimp, soak it in garlic overnight.

8. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    I like to buy the peel and eat kind from Meijers. They have buy one get three bags free going all the time. Then I like to add 1 tablespoon of garlic to every ten shrimp in a bag that I believe I'm going to take fishing. If I'm going for a couple hours ten or fifteen seems to be just right. I'll pull them out of the freezer, add the garlic, and put them on ice in a cooler. Now to me, it seems like if they are just at that frozen, thawed stage they seem to stay on the hook better and longer. I only really use the shrimp if I want some eater cats, other wise I use fresh cut 'gills or live creek chubs or 'gills. I caught a really nice cat up on the Maple on Saturday on the garlic shrimp concoction.

9. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Once in awhile I find TV (Texas Variety) shrimp at the grocery store, otherwise I buy the fresh with shell on, the peel and eat type at the grocery store, it is more costly though. Both work well on a circle hook. TV tends to be on the smaller size than the fresh at the grocery store.