useing gold fish in santee cooper lakes

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by macdaddy, May 12, 2009.

1. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    can you fish goldfish in ssntee??? If so any one ever had any luck with them???

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ive tried them in the river and the lakes and never had much luck with them. Im not sure how much they are but I would spend the $8.00 per dozen on some live gizzard shad instead.

3. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Yea you can use them, But shad work alot better.

4. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Dwayne shortstay only had goldfish for a while an I tryed them with little effect, cut shad or shiners work MUCH better.

Does anyone know where all the floating grass pods in the lower lake came from? It qws giving me fits trying to drift Sunday.

5. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    where can you buy live gizzard shad around canal lake

6. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Dwayne they will have them at Canal Lakes.

7. boedict

boedict New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I dont know where to buy them,but you can get a cast net and throw at the banks and docks and catch your own. I try to find water with some current seems to hold more bait fish. santee has a lot of threadfin shad I catch alot of these with a cast net and they are awsome catfish bait. :big_smile:

8. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    Neds is now open and selling shad and herring for $8.00 per doz.

Jim

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's great to hear, Jim. Thanks for the info.

10. Mechwarrior5

Mechwarrior5 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I tried gold fish in Marion once, but never again. My brother-in-law swears by them in the Waccamaw and Pee Dees, but in Santee that don't work for nothing. We were getting bites all night long on shad (both threadfin and gizzard), white perch, and bream. But in two days we never got a single bit off of goldfish.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've used goldfish on the lakes once, with no bites. I did get to try some in one of the sanctuaries once, when we were collecting a few blue catfish specimens for blood samples. We had some small bream, which was the best, then the dark colored goldfish were a close second, but the brighter colored ones lasted longer before being inhaled. This, like I said, was in a sanctuary where the fish were congregated. We took some blood samples and released the fish, but it was interesting to test their preference for baits.