useing 1/64 lead head jigs

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by cliff n york, Aug 18, 2008.

1. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    the gavel you said to use the 1/64 lead jigs, describe how you use them and i will try it. cliff

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I fish with Chris "the gavel" and yes that is the hook we use, we will use a peice of crawler half the size of your pinky nail with the hook exposed pass the barb with a bobber. you can expieriment with the depth of the bobber, we will target some sort of structure like logs, docks, steep banks,
    you can tell where they are on calm water simpley by looking for little ripples by the above mentioned cover or ledge, if they don't bite just give it a couple jigs and they will most likely go after it, It is not uncommon for myself and Chris to get 50+ in an hours time. PM me or Chris if you have anymore questions or problems:0a26:

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Oh I forgot to mention this is all done at lakes with healthy populations of gills, if you find a hearty pond the results will increase a ton:wink:

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Glad I found this....

Steve answered most of the basics...

I use them typically under a bobber adjusted to water depth. I use the smallest bobber I can find oftentimes no bigger then a nickle, dime size if I can find them!

Depth anywhere from 8 inches to 24 inches usually!

If you are lucky enough to have rocks around I will sometimes go without a bobber and just the 1/64 lead head. dangle it around the rocks and wait for the line to tighten!

Baits of choice are crawlers but 1/4 inch, or meal worms (aka wax worms) whole!!!

Tight lines, PM me with any questions.

I had a hard time finding them for a long time, but I now have a place!!!

5. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey thank you for the information, i will try out, an see what happens

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Good point. Some years some extended family members put in a pond (1 - 1 1/2 acre) and stocked it with largemouth bass and bluegill. The county agent they were working with told them to never throw back a bluegill, even if they had to leave it on the bank to rot. He said that there was no way the bass could keep the bluegill population in check, and even with heavy bluegill fishing, they might have to seine out some every few years. A pond can only support so many pounds of fish; more fish = smaller fish.