Useful Tips For Boaters

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by jim, Nov 2, 2005.

1. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The Nov issue of Boating Magazine contains some very useful articles for normal boaters like you amd me.One article covers Winter GAS and the effect ethanol had on some outboard engines.If you live in an area that mandates the use of winter gas you might find this helpful.There is a good article on how to prepare your electronics for winter storage and a very good list of 22 ways to screw up your boats engine.For instance how many of you rev the engine before shutting it down?Better read on.Go to www.boatingmag.com for the articles.This thread might be a good place to post all the useful tips we gather as we boat our way through life.I read virtually all the mags so I'll post up what I think will apply to us or might prove helpful.One good tip also in this magazine is the following quote"The most expensive thing you can put in an engine is cheap oil".Amen

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    jim,

I cant give yo rep points for being brilliant cause I already gave you rep today for being so dang funny.

You got 5 stars coming from me for this. Much thanks!

Sal

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    If you have ever bought the tech brand oil they sell at wal-mart to run in your motor try this out. Pour a little bit out and try to light it. It won't burn!!! Now try some evinrude or mercury oil, they will instintaly flame up. Good post JIM, never be cheap when it comes to buying your oil, the few dollars you save may cost you a bunch!

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Found another interesting ad in the latest Trailer Boats magazine.This one is near and dear to my heart right now.Its an ad for trailer bunks made out of polypro.Currently most are made out of marine grade wood with carpet on them and they eventually rot or/and the carpet gets torn etc.I had made up my mind to go with the "Bunkaps" that are available from Cabelas which are ?????You guessed it polypro caps that go over the bunk replacing the carpet.Poly will also make loading the boat easier than the carpet.Now I'm thinking why not just replace the bunks with these new Polypro bunks and be done with it once and for all.I'm checking in to it and will report back on costs etc.Sounds like a good idea to me.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Good point about the oil Spoon,I'll bet its because of the solvent levels in the more expensive oil are higher.Todays gasolines are really the problem as they are very dirty and tend to creat carbon build-up.Add to that ethanol or MTBE depending on where you live and then you can see how the best oils are an investment in your engines future.Gas also deteriorates in about 60 days and starts to leave gummy deposits and that is why I personally use and urge others to use fuel stabilizers all the time not just when winterizing.

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Jim, good post, VRO, on my Johnson motor(OIL) is what put me to bank fishing. :cursing: :cursing:

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I must be dense, but I can't find anything on that web site even remotely related to the articles you mention. Are they only available in print?

8. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    top stg,
    That is why I by-passed my VRO on my evinrude. I figured I could take the time to mix it at the tank and be sure it was getting oil!!

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good point MOMUD,
    First thing my mechanic does is un-hook the vro,I know its nice haveing not to mix the oil but atleast you know its working. BTW I have a new vro tank 4-sale for a evinrude if interested ;)

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Mr T I think their problem is the most current issue they have on the website is Oct the articles are in the current issue.Give them a call and they can probably lead you to it or go to books a million and sit in a chair and read it.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jim, I don't meant to be negative but I noticed on another thread that you told someone not to post the fishing guides name.... you said that it is not allowed.

But above, you post a link giving that magazine and the magazine's forum free advertising? Maybe my mistake.... but I'm not aware they advertise on BOC?

BTW, magazine's are in business to make a profit from selling ads. I wonder if Walmart advertises their brand marine oil in that or other marine magazines. I would think the high priced marine oils spend big bucks on advertisements.

Myself, I "try" to never post a link that's tied to a commercial site.

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Momud and spoon, MY is disconnected now. I have not started the motor since Little mac put it back to gatherer. My buddy at the boat shop will set the timing for me. As most of you know I has to sell my truck to get the motor fixed. Rob peter to pay Paul. No truck no way to get the boat to the shop. my buddy mac will help me when he has the money for gas. He lives a hour from me. :eek: :eek:

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Olefin,to tell you the truth I'm not sure what the rules are.I posted a guides name in one of my posts and it was edited by a MOD who said not to post their names which led to the post of mine to which you refer.I think posting a website of something like a magazine is ok if it is helpful to our members,for instance I have seen In-fisherman referenced many times.Referencing an article or website of a general nature should be ok but if a MOD edits it then I never have a problem with that.Someone asked a question about E-TEC engines a while back and I see no rpoblem sending them to that website.Hope I haven't done anything wrong and if I did I'm sure Whistler would edit me out.

14. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I run wally world oil in my engine,and while it may not "burn" well,it sure does smoke well!....LOL

I tried setting fire to regular motor oil after reading this thread.That didn't burn either???????????

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jim,

I'm not sure either. I know on the old forum they didn't like links posted to commercial sites and especially to other forums... or that was what I thought. :confused:

Maybe a staff member will jump in and state the facts.

misterwhiskers,

I've used Walmart 2 cycle oil for 11 years in my 80 HP Yamaha. Never had the motor cover off but once and that was due a carburetor linkage that had slipped off, probably caused from the rough water at my old floating dock.

Like you say... their oil does smoke... usually, where there is smoke there is fire. :D

16. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i only run merc quicksilver oil in my motor wally world oil just dont cut it for me