Used up all my luck. Long story

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Tat2demon, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    I apologize if this turns out to be very long.

Yesterday a friend and I decided to make a trip to Gavins Point Dam in Yankton SD and hoped for some good catfishing. This was my first time fishing there but I had great expectations.

Ive never been so wrong.

The fishing was horrible. It could have been that they had just shut down the spillway when we showed up, we were in the wrong place, they didn't like our bait, who knows.

From 11AM to about 9PM I caught a 1lb bass, 4 inch bluegill, and my buddy caught a soft shell turtle. :angry:

But what happened shortly after my bass is why I'm sharing this story. To set this up take a look at the picture here.

We were on the rocks right next to the spillway wall. We had two heavy rods set up for cats and 2 lighter setups for whatever else.

I have been borrowing a rod/reel from my dad, which use to belong my grandpa before he died. Its not a great rod but I needed something lighter to go along with my cat setup. I promised my dad I would take very good care of it. Its not a great rod but it has a lot of sentimental value.

After the bluegill and small bass I realized my cat rod was snagged up. I set down my grandpas rod on the rocks while I took care of it.

Just after I get my snag sorted out I hear a racket behind me. Its my grandpas rod bouncing around on the rock. As soon as I realize what it is, the rod shoots away from the area like a rocket!

I immediately felt like throwing up.

A couple guys above us on the wall saw it happen and were excited about how large of a fish it had to be, not realizing what the rod meant to me and inside I was ready to cry.

After sitting for a minute, thinking about how I was going to tell my dad, I climbed the rocks and went to the top of the wall. I knew the chances were very small but I was hoping to see something. The rod skimming the water, the bobber, anything.

I walked the length of the wall with no sight of it.

On my way back another fisherman starts laughing as hes bringing in his line. On the end of it hangs a fishing pole!

I instantly see that its the rod that not five minutes ago I watched get ripped right into the river.

I run up to him as the rod is nearing the railing yelling that I could just about kiss him. :smile2:

As he brings my rod in we see the line is still tight and whatever took it is still hooked.

When I grabbed the rod handle I could see just how lucky I was. The pyramid sinker this guy was using had slid underneath the casting trigger on the (Quantum Snapshot) reel as it was dragged by!

If this had happened any different way this story would be to brag about snagging a 5 foot long paddlefish. Even thought this is the largest fish I have ever had on the end of a line I couldn't care less. I had my grandpas rod back and that's all I care about.

I'm sorry this ended up being so long, I really don't have the knack of cutting down stories. :wink:

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Im glad you got your rod back brother i can tell that meant alot to you.I cant see how anybody could catch anything with everyone standing shoulder to shoulder there geez.used to be you went fishing to get away from the crowds now when you go fishing theres crowds there to,i dont see that as a good thing.

3. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Yeah I'm not a big fan of it either. That's why we were down below the wall. Well that and we didn't know what to do if we caught a big cat while we were 40 feet above the water.

The strange thing is I never saw anyone catch anything other than a couple very small cats and drums. Most are tossing some small jigs out hoping for walleye.

4. 40oz

40oz New Member

State:
    Gun Barrel Tx
    I'm glad it all worked out for you the way it did & you got your grandad's rod n reel back

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    cool story with a great ending:wink:

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Glad you got to keep the rod in the family!After taking a look at the picture,I swear,I,ll never complain again about the areas I fish being too crowded!:eek:oooh:

7. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    I have no idea when that pic was taken. I found it online. It may have been a holiday or something. On Sunday there were about 15 people on top of the wall and maybe 8 or so for about the first half mile of shoreline.