Used outboards ?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bootshowl, Feb 27, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I have a very small boat, only rated for a 7HP motor. I'd be looking to buy a used motor & given the small size would think there would be many small one's for sale as everyone seems to be into "more power". What would be the best brand to focus on. I know very little. I'm thinking 2 stroke would be better? What are some of y'alls thoughts. Thanks. I'm not kidding, I don't know nothing.
    :roll_eyes:

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gary, as you have stated you have a small boat and very little knowledge about boat motors. You are in luck my friend. I just happen to have an old tiller type that could be right up your ally. It is old and worn,but still runs as well as the operator that maintains it. It goes back in our family for years and has always been affectionately known as the old egg beater. Here is a pick, and I will sacrifice it for around, well just make me an offer.

Attached Files:

3. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    The woods are full of used boat motors. Surprisingly the market on GOOD small engines is pretty slim in a lot of places. Motors from 3.5 to 7.5 HP are popular because they fit just about any boat. Many city lakes and boat rental docks will rent boats to folks with these engines for an enjoyable day of fishing. These motors will fit in the trunk of your car or the back of a pickup and are easy to put on the boat of your choice. The fuel tanks are usually self contained so you don't have to worry about hoses and fuel tanks ect.
    I know about these things because I hunted and fished with small engines for the first 15 years of my adult life. I have owned portable outboard engines as small as 1.2 HP and as large as 7.5 HP that powered boats from canoes, to Jon boats, to 12' semi V hulls to city rental boats.
    I still own the Sears 1.2 HP engine made by Aqua Bug. It reminds me of a big Weed Eater adapted for outboard use. The exhaust comes out under water and the engine is air cooled. Good engine for canoes and Jons up to 12'. Not fast but it runs well. I have also owned a 2 HP Envinrude, a 5 HP Sears air cooled made by Tecumseh, and a 7.5 HP Montgomery Ward made by Sea King (I think). All were good engines, each with some quirks. All were two stokes and some produced quite a bit of power for their size.

5 to 7.5 HP two stokes are good engines. A friend of mine has an old 6 HP Johnson two stroke that weighs around 55 lbs. It runs great and pushes his 12' semi V-hull aluminum boat at a good clip. It is very dependable and never fails to start with one or two pulls. He got it from a local guy that had it in his garage for 15 or 20 years having used it a dozen times or so.
    When I first saw it it had a bad case of the trashy carb syndrome. Two stroke gas and oil left in the motor too long does it every time. The upshot was he got it for $100.00 because it would not run. It was taking a chance but we got it running. Looking at the inside of that engine cover and the prop I doubt the engine has more than 30 hours on it total and it's probably at least 30 years old.

If you know nothing about boat engines make friends with a local boat engine mechanic or boat dealer fast. Before buying insist that you take the engine to a mechanic and have them check it out. In addition these folks come across great deals on engines they can't make much money own in trade ins. Some of them will be glad to pass these deals on to you if you let them know you are in the market.

Finally do not discount the package deal. I have purchased boat, motor and trailers for less money than you could buy a used engine from some dealers. In one case the boat was in poor shape but the guy had just bought the engine two years before. In another case I bought a boat, motor and trailer at an estate sale that had sat so long the tires had rotted off of the trailer. The engine was an OLD Eska that was frozen solid but the 14' Sears V-hull aluminum boat was in pristine shape and was worth more than I paid for the entire deal. A friend of mine bought a boat, motor, trailer combo last winter worth $5000.00 new for less than $2200.00. The boat was sitting in a guys yard full of oak leaves and yard junk. It had a plastic wash tub over the engine (thank God). It was an all aluminum boat so all we had to do was scrub it out with a pressure washer, replace the seats and clean out the engine carbs. End result boat easy worth double what he paid for it that a dozen buyers before him wouldn't touch.

4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
  5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    If I was you I would get one at a dealer if you don`t have some one you can trust you can get skinned alive geting one on the internet a dealer will stand behind his product because his Rep is what keeps him Going They usualy have trade ins that they have checked out

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Gary when in search of a good small motor you want to keep in mind the availability of parts. Me I would look for a small Johnson or merc in the seventies or up model.

Stay away from the force engines because IMO they were and are the poorest design ed engine That I have ever encountered.

You can locate good deals on a year old new engine if you shop around in those marinas. I found a 8 h/p for a friend of mine two weeks ago that was a left over 2004 and bought it for 800.00 and to me the deal was good and he has already had it in the water 3 or 4 times. He retired and now is trying to catch all my fish that is in the river close to his house.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have been impressed with the outboards they sale on e-bay. They are usually cheap, and if your fortunate, you can find one in your neighborhood or a reasonable driving distance. Usually you pay and arm and a leg to buy from a dealer, they are gonna get top dollar for a used motor. If you know what your doing, e-bay is a good answer.

8. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Another vote for ebay.
    It took a long time but I got a pretty good old chrysler for 200 bucks .
    I needed to get away from tiller engines because of my shoulders.
    Can't blame the dealers for wanting to make a living but I just don't want to have to raise their kids all by myself.
    Best of luck
    just

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    As in all things "Let the buyer beware".

10. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    I would check craigslist.org. My grandfather gave me a 1965 sears super 7hp it runs great. Small, old outboards are cheap and most are pretty tuff.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I can point you to a 1965 Evinrude, 65 HP for $350.00. Probably overpower your boat though.

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Thanks "Top", but that would sink my lil boat...thanks for all the imput fellas.....I'll be after something small and light weight. There's only one body of water I like to fish that only having a trolling motor makes it hard & it probably doesn't qualify for real water for most of you, Patoka Lake, and it's just 8800 acres in southern IN. I actually like slipping in the electric only lakes, so much more quiet and peaceful. I'll be looking for something like a 5HP or even smaller.
    :smile2: