Used Lund

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by rairdog, Apr 14, 2008.

1. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Hello brothers. I am looking at a used 1988 Lund with a 40 hp Johnson. It has a console, fishfinder and trolling motor. It has sat uncovered for 2 years. He said it hasn't been started in 2 years but was winterized. The trailer and boat tags were 04' which tells me it sat longer or he took it out w/ expired tags. The carpet had moss growing on it, was well worn but the decking seemed good. The steering cable seemed locked up or there is a release I couldn't find. Shorelander trailer with some rust. Seats were not in bad shape. A few dings but not bad. Transom seemed sound. Butttt it is a Lund. He wanted $2000 for it but I can probably get him down. It's my neighbors uncle so I can take it out and test drive and keep it for a little while. I tried the blue book and couldn't find the correct model # but most of the values were around $900. I assume this is just for the hull and the Johnson is worth $800-900 if it runs. He bought it off an 81 yo man that cried when it left. It was purchased from brand new from Culver Marina on lake Maxinkuckee in 88'. This is one of the lakes I want to target this year, which is a good sign.

Does anyone know a mechanic on the North side of Indy I take it too (or take him to the boat) and check the compression, steering and other issues? I called Culver Marina and can take it there for $135 inspection. That's a 2 hr drive for me. I would rather give $100 cash to a fellow BOC or someone you know.
    Riverscum:wink:

My thoughts are powerwash it, new carpet/vinyl/spray on bedliner and its ready to fish. Then I can spend some time on it in the fall/winter. Should be Alum. stringers so if I re-deck there would be no stinger repairs. Hopefully foam is not saturated. It's hard to pass up a Lund. I felt like punching him for leaving it uncovered and not taking care of it! Let me know your thoughts, sorry no pics at this time.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jim,
    I would think that if it runs and the water pump works enough for you to get a test run on it, it would be worth making an offer on. It'll definitely need a new pump before you use it in anger. I can't help you with a name of a mechanic other than the guys at Morse...W

3. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Thanks W. I called Lakeview. They're a Merc dealer and don't like Johnson's but I talked him into looking at it. He even said he might put a new water pump on it. My folks live on the lake and have used them for years. Had to play the card.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i would ask bubba or paul to walk you through the inspection brother. boat motors are very simple to work on. i agree with winston on the impeller, they get dry rotted and seam to work at first then blow apart after you get 20 miles down river.lol anyone can change one too. also "88" motors were marked 100/1 oil mix! not good if the owner didnt have enough sence to run 50/1 mix! im sorry i cant help you being way up here in the fort but im sure bubba and paul will stear you rite, jim.

as for the whole package, 2000 mite be a bit too much for a boat that has sat and is all mossed up! boats are very cheap up here in lake country. if you want ill keep an eye out for something in the papers up here, just tell me what your looking for.

5. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd go with the paid inspection. On bigger boats it's called a survey. Everyone should be able to swap an impeller but believe me some can't. Many make the mistake of twisting the impeller the wrong direction and getting the "star" backwards. I have one of those brother-in-laws. Degree from Purdue and can't find a fuse in a car. As always the second purchase a boat buyer should make is in a SHOP MANUAL for the engine and or outdrive. Not knocking Bubba he's THE GURU on here but even he can't inspect a boat by digital photos.

6. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I can get the boat for $1600 or so. Took it to the marina yesterday. The compression was 130, which is good. Lights on the boat work, bilge and areo pump work, trim works, trolling motor works.... All 5 batteries are junk. I got it home and it fired right up then died. Couldn't get it restarted. Waited a little in case it was flooded and it fired up. Idles fine but when I put it in gear it dies. New gas, but there was probably old in the lines. Pulled the filter and blew threw it. It seemed fine. I thinking of running some seafoam through it. It probably needs the carb rebuilt. So I'm looking at 150 or so in batteries, 200 or so in carb rebuild and new deck.

I've been searching for a boat since fall and looked at several. For 2k all I can find is flat bottom jon boats with tillers or old fiberglass boats that are too heavy for my intentions. This boat runs about 4 or 5k (garage kept) in the upper midwest because its a Lund.

7. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Go for it Jim...W

8. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Just met a former boat re-builder in the neighborhood. More on the lines of stringer replacement and glassing but knows motors somewhat. He's is a painter now so I trading some old sprayers for the labor. This hood has about 100 boats abandoned in back yards. They all need stingers I would assume. Anyway we put the boat in and fired it up. There is fuel/bubbles leaking out of the top of the fuel pump. There is a round tab that has bubbles coming out. We're thinking it had moisture in it and froze damaging the flapper. It didn't hold pressure well at the bulb. It also had some fuel spitting out of the top carb. Perhaps bowl is clogged. So I think a new fuel pump ($50 ?), water pump ($53), clean the carbs, redo the deck and its ready to fish. I think it can all be done for 4-500 bucks. I am considering offering $1500 for the boat. Forgive me if my terminology is wrong on. Thanks again for the input so far and more would be appreciated.
    Some Pics.

Attached Files:

9. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jim,
    Tell him everything that is wrong with it and then low-ball him and remind him that he can't, in good conscience, now ask a lot for it because he knows what is wrong with it:wink:
    At boat shop rates there is probably 3-4 grands worth of work to do on it so whoever he sells it to is going to fix it themselves...may as well be you...W

I must come over and pick up my multi tool one of these days!

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    What ever value you get from the book is way off. If you get a dealer to price that boat. I bet it will open your eyes.
    As he will price that boat at $3000. And it will bring it.
    Good luck.
    Pete

11. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Thx Shilo, thats what I have found from searching used Lunds. I offered him $1500 tonite and waiting to here back. I think it can be very fishable for another 4 to 500 hundred. After all, we are catfishermen not pleasure cruisers looking to show off our ride. That is unless it pole holders and fishing accessories LOL. I might have left one pic out though.

Attached Files:

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Good luck and hope he takes your offer. Looks like with a few days work. You will have great boat to fish from.
    I looked at used Lunds. and there hard to find. And the 2 Boats Like I was looking for was almost the same as a new one. So I ordered the new 2008 Lund 1825 Pro Guide Tiller with a 90 E-Tec Tiller motor Wide open floor space.
    Also if you do not get it. Let me know, I have a Nice 50 Hp Nissan with controls and SS prop that would work on that boat.

Pete

13. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That Lund would have to be in very bad shape to not be worth more than what you offered. They are a sought after Lake Michigan boat. A good deal even with sweat equity added in.

14. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    He took the offer of $1500. Now I got another project! But it should last a good while. Anyone have a Johnson parts dealer online or near Indy?

15. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Way to go. Post on the outboard site. And Bubbacat will post you a link next week to a on line site for parts.
    I got a deal there. Enjoy it and I hope the fish line up to get in it.
    Pete

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
  17. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just add water boats. There a johnson and evinrude dealership. They charge 90 bucks for the inspection and then call you with a estimate if needed fixed. I bought my boat from these guys and seems to take care of me pretty well. Actually just had a vro pump replaced by them about two weeks ago and boat runs great now. Thats who i would take my johnson motor too. Good luck with the boat!!!

18. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I didn't think about Just Add Water. Denny's wouldn't look at it because I didn't buy it there. I figured its a bad time to get any of the big boys to work on it. To many boats to summerize. My VRO pump is leaking fuel. I plan on replacing it with normal fuel pump and use premix. $50 part vs $350 and no future problems.