Used fishing boats..from the 70's or 80's

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by mapper, Jun 2, 2006.

1. mapper

mapper New Member

State:
    overland park, kansas
    Does anyone know of a web site that has variety of fishing boats I can look at? I need to get familiar with used fishing boat options from the 70's or 80's

I hope to get a different boat in a few years so I thought I would start shopping now. I often shop for items a few years in advance simply because I don’t have the cash at this point and time...this virtual shopping is harmless and it gives me plenty of time to think about every detail.

My current boat is a 15' jon that is vulnerable to wakes from other boats and windy situations.....otherwise it’s just fine.....it'll have to be for a few more years.

I know that I want a center console and a boat I can walk around in without tripping. Other than that I don’t know what else I want until I see it.

The boat may need to be aluminum as well....I only say that because I know nothing about other boat materials options.

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Look on ebay, Wade, they've got tons of boats!!!

3. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think you have to look at them in person before you buy. I think the pictures can give you an idea but you need to look up close at the fiber glass to see any hair line cracks or the alluminum to see fractures in welds or loose rivets. The old Ozark boat I had was starting to develope fractures in the bottom of the boat, indicating a parting of the plywood and fiber glass.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Think long and hard before you go with a center console, and don't buy one because they look 'cool'. A center console is designed for use in extremely rough water. They allow you to stand up while running the boat, letting you see farther over the waves than if you were sitting; and they let you stand with your knees bent to cushion the shock of the boat hitting the waves. I used to own a 20' center console, and it was great for running miles out into the ocean, but that center console really took up a lot of room. A few years ago, my daughter and I fished with a guide who had an 18' center console; it was fairly cramped with three of us in the boat. Even the guide was looking to trade up to a 20' or 22' boat. Currently, I own a 20' boat with an 8' beam that originally had a center console, but it has been removed and replaced with a single side console. The amount of room now available in that boat is almost unbelievable. There's actually room to put a king sized bed in the boat if I wanted.

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Mr. Trew is right about the center console. I have one and I love it, but they are not for everyones particular fishing situation. Personally I prefer a wide boat over a long one. Mine is only 17'-6", but it has the cockpit room of a much larger boat because it is almost eight feet wide. CC are designed that way to allow fishing all around the boat without haveing the hassle of a console being in the way.

I found mine from a local man on www.boattraderonline.com

You can search the site for people selling boats within a certain mileage range from where you are and withing a certain price range. I searched around for a while until I found some within my price range and with the features I wanted and then looked at them in person. Some were better and some were worse than expected. You can find some deals though if you are not in a hurry.

The one I found was an older boat. It is a 1979 McKee Craft and it has a 1994 Mercury 200hp motor on it. The owner had done a lot of upgrade work it, including rebuilding the transom, adding a Minn Kota trolling motor, depthfinder, and a 20 gallon bait tank/live well.