Used Boat Value Question

Discussion in 'Boating' started by sarSWAMPFOX, Dec 14, 2007.

1. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I need to find the value of my use boat. I am not trying to sell it. I need to turn the value record of my boat to the Social Security Abministration. My son is disabled and they base SSI on my income & posessions. He has been receaving for 2 yrs now but all of a sudden the bill of sale recorded value is no longer acceptable. No where in my home town can give me a book value on my boat. My boat is a 1983 Happy Traveler 15' 04" with a 1983 70 hp Force out board. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    go to the NADA site they will have the book value of your boat.

3. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I tried that, and they don't have a listing for Happy Traveler boats or if they do I have not been able to find it. Where specificaly must I look on the NADA site. Thanks.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i dont know, i just looked and couldnt find any info. Another option would be to search online for your own boat for sale and that would give u an estimated value of your boat.

5. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I have been looking but am un able to even find a boat like mine for sale. Thanks again James.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe in Oklahoma, that year boat and motor would sale for somewhere between $1500.00 to $1700.00. You may consider placing an ad in your local paper to sell the boat. When someone comes around, get it in writing as to what he would offer. Then cancel your sale. Just because you advertise don't mean you have to sell. Maybe the social security administration would then accept that as the value of the boat as it would be what the boat could be sold for. Long ways to go just to satisfy bureaucratic nonsense, but it is the govenrment and it's loaded with it.

7. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I was able to show the SSA what I paid for the boat and motor $1200 but that wasn't good enough. I was also able to show what the tax assessor valued it at and that wasn't good enough. They want a book value and I can't seem to find one.

8. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would assume that rather than Happy Traveler the actual boat company's name is Travelers.

You can find out for sure by looking up the HIN.
    If it has HPY or TVL then it is a Travelers.

You can find this company on NADA.

9. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    The Hull ID # Starts HPY and the manufactor is Happy Traveler from GA.

10. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
  11. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Thanks Richard, That is the best so far. Hope I get the SSA to accept this info. It turns out my boat is worth $1070 to $1160. I paid a little more than book value at $1200 LOL . Thanks again for all the help.

12. mverick

mverick New Member

State:
    il
    If that doesn't work, maybe you can talk to your bank loan officer. They always have way's to get legal apprasails of anything it seems.