Use of Outriggers

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by iceman, Feb 11, 2009.

1. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    Well guys i guess i might have to much time to sit and think but wanted to get ya'lls opinion on it. I was entertaining the idea of setting up telescoping outriggers on my pontoon boat. I fish 6 rods now backtrolling and thought maybe i could fish 8 with the outriggers. Has anyone tried this? if so how did it work. I thought of planer boards but you have to be moving about 2mph for them to work. i'd like to get info on this and i know this is the place to get it. Thanks in advance.

GARY

2. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I've tried it using a couple of 11 foot surf rods, and its still not enough spread.
    I'm not sure its worth the trouble of tangled lines even if I used longer rods. I tried planer boards too, but didn't care much for them either.

3. jrack1

jrack1 New Member

State:
    mo.
    my home made planer boards work great 1 left and 1 right using 6 poles. 3 poles if there bitting is plenty. out riggers are a pain in the . in the Mississippi river, but they do work good. good luck jerry

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'm sure it would work, Gary, but I wonder how beneficial it would really be? Would it allow you to catch that many more fish? Good question, I guess. I guess we all get the "I wish I could cover a hundred yard width" syndrome, don't we. Interesting. Let us know what you do. Thanks.

5. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Planer boards rock!! I made several pairs before I arrived at the final design that I am currently making and using. In testing I have achieved a 75-85 degree plane to the boat at speds as slow as .3 -.5. My brother and I fished a drift almost 600' wide one time just for fun. It is very easy to drift 8-10 rods and be 300' wide. It takes some practice to get it right and maintain but is also very effective. I have created some HUGE messes and had to throw away $$$$$$$$$ of line!:smile2: We did hook into 3 fish once all were BIG and what a mess, they all made it to the boat and if it had been tourney day.................enough said!:wink: as I mentioned before there are some tricks to figure out, the most exciting to me is: When a cat gets hooked up you have to wait for the line to go all the way behind the boat and load up. It seems an eternity sometimes. I have tried to help out and reel just a tiny bit, not good results. I believe all the cats we have caught were gut hooked, meaning they liked it! I got the original design from the BOC library and modified it some till I ended up with what I use.

I don't sell these and all the ones I have made I just give away to friends.

6. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    i pull planer boards at .5-1mph for stripers with no problems. i saw a guy on tv fishing santee for cats using them very effectively. also you can run more than one on each side, just let them out to different distances. ive been on a boat pulling 4 planner,2 freelines, 2 slinky rigs, and a baloon rig ,not just straight runs either, but you gotta pay attention:wink:. im my opinion more lines and baits = more chances of a hook-up:smile2:(what its all about).

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    How do you control your speed, Stephen? Are you using a trolling motor for power, or the outboard? In this cold water, I don't like to travel more than .5-.6mph if I can avoid it. For stripers you could manage a little more than that, I guess, but I usually catch more catfish at the slower speeds during the winter.

8. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    trolling motor(and constant tending:roll_eyes:), on calm water the boards i use will pull at .5mph and still plane out to the side, with a little chop they dont seem to pull all the way out going that slow(at least for me). the striper dont mind faster baits(u-rigs are pulled at 2.5-3mph). seems the lighter the board the easier they pull out, i use waterbugs and they work good. i pulled a 12 rainbow trout on one yesterday:crazy:, but thats about the limit of mine. i wish i could remember the name of that show that the guy was using them at santee for cats, he showed exactly how he ran them for cats.

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Stephen. Good info. I've seen that program before about the guy on Moultrie. He's got it down pretty good, also uses large floats, but other that the planer spreading out the baits, I don't see a real advantage to his system. Never tried it much, either, so maybe I'm missing something. I have pulled boards, but they didn't work so well for me at those slow speeds; maybe a larger, lighter board, as you say. I don't target suspended fish very often, simply because I catch the vast majority near bottom anyway, but when I do I use floats set a the depth I'm marking the fish, drifted behind the boat. I've bought some large floats that work well and will release when I get a hit, but today I was up on Lake Marion getting some Penn reels serviced, and Chef Jim was using tennis balls to do the same thing; much cheaper than the floats I've been buying at $4/per. I love meeting so many different folks and seeing different ideas, don't you? :smile2:

10. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    yeah iv'e got one of those 4$:roll_eyes: floats also, how was the guy rigging the tennis ball. i get the swivel part but what did he use for a release. sounds like a good idea.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Heck yea it will work. I've brought the topic up several times.
    You are talking about a 40 foot spread on a pontoon boat.
    Most of those outriggers will handle 3 drops.

Nothing wrong with covering the ground. Do it all the time offshore.
    Only problem seems to be multiple hookups at the same time and not enough people:wink:

12. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Problem? Man that's the answer!!! :smile2:
    Tommy, the boards I use are big as compared to ones I've seen on the store shelves. I use a 4"x8" piece of tin and put a 2.5" piece of foam board the length of the board (8") on each side. I have attached weights to the bottom, at varied places, to be able to use them in rougher water. The weight helps them to be more stable. The surface area of the board that is carving the water is huge as compared to other boards I have seen. I think that helps it plane out at slower speeds. JMO!:eek:oooh:

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That sounds as if they might work better at the slower speeds. The planers aren't something I would use very often, probably, but it's one more option. I'll have to take a gander when I run up on you again. Thanks, Jon.

14. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Good luck with that Tommy!! :eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

Team Smackdown now operates in "Stealth" mode!! Another invention of young Sunbird!:roll_eyes:

Yeah that's right I could be fishin all your secret spots and you would never know. :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    If you were fishing my spots, you wouldn't be holding that monster in your avatar! :tounge_out: I can do some interesting undercover work when I need to. You can't hide forever. :smile2: