Use of C-2 Tungsten Carbide tipped drill bits.

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by peewee williams, Jan 8, 2008.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I need to know the instructions on how to drill glass,plastic,formica,tile and ceramic with C-2 Tungsten Carbide tipped drill bits.These bits have a single blade out the end of the bits.They remind me of the old time single and double jack rock drill bits they had before the modern "Star Drills".Do you cool or lube them?If so,with what?What speeds?

The bits are cheap.China made "Drill Master" bought at Harbor Freight.6 bits.1/8-1/2" Any help or info.appreciated.The will or can be used with electric or old manual hand drills up to 1/2" Thanks.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Hell peewee, as cheep as they prob. are from harbor freight, just pick out one of the mid size and go for it...... a little spit or something that you have used before.... LOL ..... good luck with it...let us know....

Bayrunner Ray

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I bought some Chinese drill bits once. Honest to God, I was drilling 1/8 steel, the bit got hung up so I reversed the drill. The twist came out of that bit, like I was trying to drill with coathanger wire. I have never seen that happen before. LOL LOL

4. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    The few times I have drilled glass I ran the drill as fast as it would go with very light pressure and plenty of coolant..water should be fine, the problem with these cheap drills is if you get them too hot the silver solder that holds the carbide tip on will melt and the tip will fly off..

5. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I already had some little Diamond tipped cutters for Dremil tools.Some one gave me a new set of these bits that were on sale for $5.99 at Harbor Freight.They were getting me some Tweezers and a 4 piece set of the "Installers Nylon Pry Bar" kit which is a great set for when you want to pry and not scratch.The Tweezers are a tremendous help for me with my hands.

I just want to know how to try to use them if I need such.As long as you remember and treat a cheap tool,reel,gun or anything like a cheap device,you will normally get a lot more use out of it.I have used and am familiar with Carbide and Tungsten and have always used and liked the water based cutting oil for professional quality bits and tools.I have never used a drill bit shaped like this with a pointed blade on the end.

I considered all cheap Drill Bits to be "Wood bits" until I saw these.I have my doubts that they would drill wood very good.

Thanks.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I don't what to tell you anything wrong here but I can tell you what I did. What works for me sometimes doesn't work for someone else. Heck, sometimes it doesn't work for the second time.:big_smile:
    I used a good quality carbide bit made for glass. Don't put pressure on the glass, let the bit do the work. I used a spray bottle and water for lubrication. Just keep spraying the area and bit until the job was done. I was a nervous wreck to say the least. Just be careful not to let heat build up.
    I made a practice run on something that did not matter if it broke. That might be a good suggestion. Practice on something that isn't important or expensive.:big_smile:

I hope this was some help.
    David

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sounds to me like you got a masonry bit, for drilling concrete with a hammer drill. I wasn't aware that they could be used for glass.

8. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Use a few drops of kerosene when drilling small holes in glass.

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Nope! It says right out big & broad."DRILL BITS GLASS CARBIDE TIP".

Had it been masonry,I would not be needing help on here.I can find the new masonry Bits,materials and directions on line.Now I do read all directions as much has changed in my 50 years of hole drilling.I got a set of Single Jack hand hammer bits to 1",5,hand drills up to 1/2",5 electric drills up to 1/2",and many various type of bits,hole saws,circle cutters and such.I ain't got or seen nothing like quite this before.If you want to look them up on the Harbor Freight Site,they are "Drill Master #42829.Thanks all.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
  11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    This done the trick on the info.Thanks all!I ain't planning on drilling glass,but I have run into case hardened stuff and could again with friends and relatives.I have to come off my meds for two days to drill or use power tools and then I usually have some one else do it for me.I hate having a tool and not knowing how to use it correctly.I have had thousands of dollars worth of mine destroyed in my life by "smart" people who knew everything.Being I live 35 miles from a tool store,I done good to have a new tool in case it's needed and now know how to use it.I think glass would be a little too dangerous with my control.Thanks again.

I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee