Use of A Trolling Motor

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Jaylake_21, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Jaylake_21

Jaylake_21 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got a "new to me boat" a few months ago, and the trolling motor works when it wants to, due to a wiring issue. Since I catfish 100% of the time, im thinking about taking it off. Is this a smart move?

Does anybody see the need in having a trolling motor? If you have one, do you use it alot?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Great post!! i have been thinking of the same thing. i don't and never have used my trolling motor cattin' and wonder if I even need it?? I hope someone give you and me both some insight on this. It is kinda in the way for me.:big_smile:

3. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I don't get a lot of chances to fish for just cats specifically, but I constantly find a reason to use my trolling motor and generally try to fix it when something goes wrong simply because I can't stand to have something that doesn't work right. And secondly I hate to discard a perfectly good piece of equipment that may prove useful at any given time, including engine troubles, when that "worthless" little motor just might get me back to shore and save my wallet a big kick in the britches. I'd say fix 'em and keep 'em. You never know when you might regret not having one.

4. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree with corklabus, I have had to use my trolling motor to get me back in, and I was happy it was there. I also use it when I'm in a back water and I know that the asian carps are in there also, makes things easier when carps aint flying in the air at you. Later Andy

5. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I agree even with the style of fishing that you are doing and not using the trolling motor there is no tellin when it will come in handy if and when something goes wrong with your big motor. If you have a very big and heavy boat it would be terrible to have to try and paddle your way back to shore.

6. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I dont see no need for a Trolling motor myself if you are only anchor fishing other than having it as a backup to the big motor in case of trouble as the others spoke of,but I have mine on my pontoon and use it at least 50% of the time,alot of us use them down this way when Drifting for Cats,if there is no wind the Trolling Motor is a must and if we are using drift socks you cah use it to slow you up or speed up or even help change your direction a bit,it has many uses other than just being in the way and as a backup to the big motor

7. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    to me they are quit handy.when your up in a cove looking for shade you can motor up on them, or if you are sideways drifting they can help bring the bow back around. thats a couple of things i use them for on the lakes, since i dont get on the rivers anymore.:cool2:

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I use mine for drifting when there is no wind also. I also like to chase the crappie every now and then. Only use the big motor to get from spot to spot. Use the trolling motor to stay on the fish.

9. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i use mine quite a bit, it is nice to have for the before mentioned things, engine trouble etc. and on a lake if i'm just moving a short distance it is much easier to just troll over.

10. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i wouldn't want to be without mine,i use it when i'm throwing the net for shad,drift fishing,and even use it to run the shore line when i'm blue gill fishing for flathead bait.

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Same here. I couldn't live without mine. I only start the big motor to move to another spot. I fished all the flooded fields at the lake last weekend. No way I would have run the big motor in there.

12. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I use mine all the time. It is so much easier when in the creeks cast netting shad to use the trolling motor. Especially if you are by yourself. But I also crappie fish my boat quite a bit so I use it there too. And as everybody else has said, it has saved me from being stranded on the middle of the Ohio River at 4 am and having to wake a buddy up and begging them for a tow.

13. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I use mine a lot, I don't drift very often,but it is useful then, as well as crappie or blue gill fising for bait. I probably wouldn't use it as much if it weren't a foot control, but even if it wasn't I would still keep it for a backup.

14. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    It's nice to have a back-up if your outboard has issues.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Id realy consider not taking it off and keepin the batterey up I use mine mainly to get bait but it is nice to have in them shallow backs where you cant run the motor....plus if you have a motor problem and a big nuff troller you can atleast get to shore......just some my thoughts though!

16. MSgtCatfish

MSgtCatfish New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Jay,

i think it really matters on where you mostly fish and style of fishing. On a river, I will use one to bottom bounce around in a hole or bottom bounce down a long washout hole, use it to creep up on them cats in shallow water, I'll use it to keep the boat straight when I am drifting and the wind changes up on me, and in a pinch it just might get you back to the docks if the outboard goes out. If you got the room and it's not in the way I would say keep it, but since it has a mind of it's own i'd say get another one and mount it on there!