Use of a spark tester.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Bubbakat, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    For all you DYI guys out there if you want to save money in the marine field three pieces of equipment that you will need is, repair manual, compression testing gage, spark tester.

This is a video on when a spark tester came in handy. He was having trouble at idle and after all the checks he decided to spark check with the engine running. He did something here that I would not to and that is bringing that engine above 1500 r's without a load on it. This can cause a runaway. If you guys want to we can discuss a runaway also. This tester he has you can buy them for about 12 bucks and well worth the money.
    Now keep in mind that this is an old engine but there are some still around its a Hydro electric shift and I still have one that runs well and I think Awshucks has one also MRR has one. Now enjoy the Video and if you have any questions or suggestions ask and tell.

By the way he found he was loosing spark at higher speeds instead of idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp7dAiR0WHE

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Willard, with this dial up it will take til next week to load for me. Where can you pick up one of the spark testers? I took the Nissan off the boat and have the 85HP one back on there now and am going to try to see why it won't spark. I did find a trouble shooting guide online for that Force and am going to give it a try. We appreciate you buddy for all the hard work you do for us and for the help you give us on here.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jim I will see if I can locate one close to you or at least you can call or drive over and order it.

Jim I also heard that if a recetfier is bad on a force it won't spark.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I always thought grab ahold of the wire while its running and take it off/hold it to the plug and if you get shocked,its sparking...:big_smile::wink::smile2:

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Get a wife or girl friend to hold on to it.You will be able to hear if you have a spark.Believe me,you will hear if it fires.You may hear about it for the rest of your life.My first wife claimed that she will never forgive me.I told her that I certainly hope not.If I had any idea that she would,I would never have asked her to hold it to start with.I tell my present wife that she is twice as smart as my first wife.She refused to hold it the second time.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

John You wouldn't bleive how many newbies to outboards I have done that to. Needless to say I didn't have any second takers.

7. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i have a friend who drives stock cars , dirt track to check his plugs he put a cotter pin into the rubber boot going to the plug head and then with the motor running he takes a screwdriver and grounds out each plug to see which plug is bad He leaves the cotter pin in all the time quick and easy check.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have done that on old round trackers but an outboard you can't do that. The fireing is set at a certain distance with just a little varence so what this type of tester does is it allows you to adjust your spark to see if that cylinder is fireing hot enough.

9. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Thanks Bubba, I appreciate that. I will check out the rectifier and see if that is bad.

10. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Being that I too am cursed with dial up I will have to pass on the video .:embarassed: I am interested in a spark tester as well , I know this close to the river they have to be easier to find or would at least think so .

On the rectifier I got a question . When they go bad are they usually shorted or they open when reading them on a meter ?

Pete

11. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    do they sell the spark testers thru Napa or autozone ?

Pete

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I think they do. I know I can order one through Orielly's here.

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I got a spark tester from J.C. Whitney. It is the type that clamps over your spark plug lead and will tell you if that plug even fired once. It also has diodes which flash each time the plug fires. Easy to use but kind of pricey... think it was like $45.00. But it did save me one heck of a repair bill as once I diagnosed that it wasn't firing, and other tests as well, I replaced the power pack and it runs almost as good as a new motor. Could have taken it to the shop, but then I wouldn't have the plug tester, would I... LOL