Use backing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by rushing, Jun 13, 2006.

1. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I was wondering peoples thoughts on using mono backing when spooling up a braided line(power pro ect...). Do you do it? I always have but I am just wondering if you guys do?

2. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I put just enough mono on to cover the spool so the braid doesn't slip or damage the spool. Hope this helps.

3. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    The first time i spooled up with powerpro on my abu, I didn't bother to read the instructions that came with the line. I payed for it as soon as I got down to the lake and hooked up with a routine small channel and he took all my line. I had to hand line him in. I always back with just enough to cover the spool as well.

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    For me it depends on what kind of reel I am using. With a spinning reel I can tie it so that it won't slip (or if it does, it won't much or for long). On a baitcaster I would probably have to back it with a little mono unless it has an eye on the arbor to tie the line to.

5. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i use backin on every reel that i can...it really depends on the reel. On my Shimano sahara and my abu garcia 5k, i can save 80 yards of high cost line every time i re-spool. have yet to get into the backin on either of these reeels..heh

cyas
    rc

6. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Yeah or wind 3" of tape on the first bit of line.

7. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I tightly fill my reels with mono and leave room for the 150 yard spool of Power Pro...it makes braided lines affordable to those who want to use it!:big_smile:

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I use spinning reels and wind some black electricians tape on first to prevent slippage.I normally use 150yds of braid and so far haven't had any need for any more.:big_smile: :lol:

9. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    I back anytime I use a braided or superline. I use enough so it goes over the spool maybe 2 times.

10. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i just finished backing one of my reals with mono,(40lb big game lol)

and i probably only got like 100-150 yards on it... wish i had more on it but i screwed up big time... but never cought a fish that took out more line than i have set the bait out with.. i have cought 25lbers

11. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    I just started using braid it for the first time. After I loaded it on the spool, I went fishing, and the line just spun on the spool. I had to unspool it, and then I hooked the start around the line "hook" on the spool next to where the line is wound. It now will not spin on the spool. But I probably should have put on mono first. But I did not have the tying instructions to use the correct ty to keep the 2 lines connected together without slipping through each other.